VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good News I Guess

Rate this topic

Omg-Sue

Phillip I think the intentions of this program started out well because homeless vets were being schmoozed by 'nice' folks who helped them get their claims processed & then skipped out with the money. Some addicts & alcoholics actually do need some help managing. But K has an excellent track record with our lives. Exceptions were PS episodes where he was taken to the emergency room. But he has ALWAYS let me handle the money because he is blind, not because of his SC condition. We discuss all expenditures; I even read the grocery receipt to him. He looks up the bank account on computer daily.

It's been over 20 years since he stopped smoking and drinking (at the same time). Thats also a pretty good reference I think. Has no bad habits, controls his diet/chloresterol. How the heck is he incompetent. Also, as someone suggested, maybe he IS incompetent, so let me keep handling the finances. We both have good credit, just bought a home in Tx & still have our Mo home rented out.

The letter said we can ask for an in-person hearing. Yes we will! We can have friends/fam speak for K. Yes, we will fight this. Dont you think it would be demoralizing to tell a depressed man he is incompetent?

Sidney, No one has come to the house yet to 'explain' how they are here to help. As I read again & again these papers, it seems the VA has this idea all sewed up anyway. They dont seem to care if we fight this; it was pre-won already. How discouraging. K wrote out the request yesterday for me to be the fidicuary and DAV SO sent that in.

Thank you to everyone who is trying to help. We need all the help you can offer it seems. Like I said before at least I can get ChampVa now.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

On the surface, it sounds like the VA is playing fast and loose. I'd say that with just the information given, a rapid response disagreeing with the fiduciary appointment, etc. is needed.

Further, If there is any way to involve one of the better Pro Bono Veteran lawyers, I'd do so.

You don't have much time. Also, you need to do something concerning any existing funds in bank accounts before they may become subject to VA fiduciary control, and you no longer have access.

One of the problems can be that the notification letter was dated in the VA files well before the VA got around to actually mailing it. (Keep the envelope with the actual date of mailing postage)

This VA mailing delay can effectively shorten the time you have to respond with a disagreement notice. Five to ten days out of thirty is significant!

I'd at least contact a veterans VA lawyer before the sun sets!

One National Pro Bono is:

NVLSP

PO Box65762

Washington, DC 20035

202-265-8305

Fax 202-328-0063

info@nvlsp.org

Edited by Chuck75

Chuck and everyone is right you really need to jump on this.

I was awarded VA P/T without a problem because of my heart and given SMC-s because of my other issues but nowhere did they ask if I felt I could not/or could control my money!

Now SSDI which I was just awarded after the VA, did ask if I felt I could handle my money and I said of course I have been doing it all my life and I also said I do most of my bills by computer and automatic each month. They did not mention anything about it when I was awarded!

I think again if you jump on this right away you should be fine!

Congrat on the Champ US my wife needed that too! So we are truly blessed!

Good Luck to you and K!

Chuck & Stillhere, I am proud to have all you guys in our corner. I am positive the Pro Bono will hear from me tomorrow. Advice from the HADIT family has kept me going. K has so much 'control' meds that he is handling this better than me. I do love a challenge but this one is the worst I ever had in my 64 years. I hope the current cases going on right now just blows this program apart. Buncha BS I'd say.

Thanks again guys, I'll keep you posted.

• HadIt.com Elder

Changing the subject just a little.

Now that you have access to CHAMPVA, remember that it will pay MOST of your healthcare, but, there is some that they won't pay (like 25% or so), and, for that, my Wife has a supplemental policy that picks up ALL the rest of her healthcare costs that CHAMPVA does NOT cover. Her policy is with AMRA (American Military Retirees Association) but there are others, also. The policy is, like, $20+ dollars a month. She has some VERY expensive medications that she takes on a ongoing basis that costs several hundred dollars a month, so it is a "no-brainer" money-wise.

CHAMPVA is one of the best benefits that a veteran's family has, as far as I am concerned.

I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use