VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good News I Guess

Rate this topic

Omg-Sue

Changing the subject just a little.

Now that you have access to CHAMPVA, remember that it will pay MOST of your healthcare, but, there is some that they won't pay (like 25% or so), and, for that, my Wife has a supplemental policy that picks up ALL the rest of her healthcare costs that CHAMPVA does NOT cover. Her policy is with AMRA (American Military Retirees Association) but there are others, also. The policy is, like, $20+ dollars a month. She has some VERY expensive medications that she takes on a ongoing basis that costs several hundred dollars a month, so it is a "no-brainer" money-wise.

CHAMPVA is one of the best benefits that a veteran's family has, as far as I am concerned.

I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

I was thinking Medicare with ChampVa would pay everything. Thanks for the advice. My meds run $26,000 a year before medicare pays. I did have 'extra help' before K was awarded 70%. Now I am too rich, lol. I think my Humira is $750 a month. This is why I have had NO meds since December because my co-pay was $688. Looking forward to getting that insurance card.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I was thinking Medicare with ChampVa would pay everything. Thanks for the advice. My meds run $26,000 a year before medicare pays. I did have 'extra help' before K was awarded 70%. Now I am too rich, lol. I think my Humira is $750 a month. This is why I have had NO meds since December because my co-pay was $688. Looking forward to getting that insurance card.

To be honest with you, I do not have any experience when it comes to Medicare and how it "intertwines" with CHAMPVA (we don't have Medicare), but, I can tell you this: The CHAMPVA folks are really helpful (unlike SOME of the VA departments) and they are, seriously, just a phone call away. Call them and ask them about any un-paid balances and how your Medicare and CHAMPVA will co-ordinate your medical expenses. But, just remember, there are "supplemental" policies available to CHAMPVA recipients, just in case your Medicare does not pay the remainder of your bills.

• 2 weeks later...

We got off the subject a bit. About the fiduciary program.....best info I have read is at VAWatchdog.org and click on fiduciary. Outright theft, fraud, and mismanagement. No accountability at all. At the end of the column (its long) Jim gives a series of steps to take when this all begins. Very good advice. Some of these folks are no friend of the disabled Vet.

Of all the dumbest things, I moved to Waco, Tx just in December! The most notorious RO ever! But K sends his heartfelt thanks to all of you who have 'gone before' and share information with us. I am read to file NOD about his incompetency.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't forget that 100% Veterans who own their own home have a total exemption granted in Texas. This is a very big benefit in my opinion. Probably the reason my wife and I will stay in the home we bought in 1971.

ChampVA works very well with Medicare and unlike the Medicare prescription the cost of meds are hardball negotiated at VA prices so even though you have a copay it is not all that bad.

OMG-Sue said:

"was thinking Medicare with ChampVa would pay everything"

as long as you have Part A and Part B Medicare ,in my case ,between the two of them, they have paid everything so far.

I do pay an annual co pay when I get my meds and I think it is 50 dollars.

The CHAMPVA man who was on some of our SVR shows told me to send in receipts for all of my med co pays as they will refund those co pays after the annual deduction.

It only took my pharmacist a few minutes to give me a full printout of my meds and co pays to send to CHAMPVA for refund.

The CHAMPVA booklet is full of good info on what they pay and any limits to coverage.Also you will get a periodic CHAMPVA magazine that also is full of excellent info.

You have to formally apply for CHAMPVA and I think that can be done on line at the CHAMPVA web site.

It is a fabulous benefit.

I believe it also can be retro-depending on the CHAMPVA entitlement date but not sure of that.

The CHAMPVA man, Glenn, in the SVR show archives -I believe even gave out his work phone number for any questions.

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife has BC/BS and ChampVA. ChampVA works well with BC. BC pays first and then ChampVA pays the rest. The BC was about the only decent thing I got from my 20 years as federal employee.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use