VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Work

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I was recently awarded 100% percent disability however no where in my claim does it state I cannot work. What it does state is the following.

50% sleep apnea w/cpap

50% prostasitis / prostate

40% depression

20% tinitis

and six claims at 10% each

my question is can I work? I want to continue working however I don't want to lose any compensation from VA.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that I am going to get blasted but unless your are working for a VSO if you have a 100% rating working is very risky

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are working in undergroud economy you can do all right. I also would be nervous about working at a SSA paying job where you file an income tax form each year and declare earned income. If you are getting 100% for some combination of physical injuries and mental problems I think that if the VA finds out you will have to answer some difficult questions. Think how a working citizen would view a vet who claims to be 100% and is working full time at a nice salary? It may be legal but I would not tell a soul.

I finally quit my job and my employer provided me with a note stating that I quit for personal reasons. Would this be enough info to give to the VA concerning my Depression and Anxiety and why I chose to quit?

vet2010

• HadIt.com Elder

What you need is for the Company to say you quit cause you could no longer perform or for a Medical Professional to advise that you quit. Not working in itself is some proof but I would never show the VA a statement like you got from your employer. The VA will say you chose to quit and they will not pay for that.

Good Luck

I agree with john999 - I'm hovering just below the 100% rounded total, and am working. I don't share my percentage with my co-workers (it's not their business). Many here are retired military, so they're already drawing retirement plus current salary. If at some point I am 100% schedular, I'd probably keep it to myself. Even though my co-workers draw retirement, they look down on those in the VA system. They see us as seeking entitlements, while they see themselves as deserving of their retirement.

The only reason I'm employed and in a protected status is because I work for the fed. I don't make what I used to, but I have liberal time to make doctor appointments (even if I have to take leave without pay), and am not pressured when too sick to come in. I think the day may/will come when I will either have a boss that won't be so forgiving, or I just won't be able to work full days (if at all). When that happens, the VA and whatever disability I get will be the only income for my family and hopefully, the fight to get the appeal resolved will have been won. Then again, for those of us with active claims, the VA IS our part-time job. Sorry if I de-railed the conversation, but wanted to add some perspective.