VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Today...

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I had an appointment today with Vocational Rehab. The good news is the counselor stated that I do not need to be working in the position that I am in because it is aggravating my SC'd to the extreme, actually to the point that I went from Cervical Spine Pain in the Army to now a herniated disc causing left foraminal stenosis. She stated about paying for my Education and paying me substance allowans. My question is this to those who know or who have been through this. How do you survive financially doing this with a family of 4 if I have to go to school full time and not able to work at the same time because of the stressors? Just curious and would like some guidance into this. Thanks in advance...

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

would you be able to qualify for pell grants

I am starting school next week and am worried how I am gonna survive on my own. I dont qualify for any grants do to having to much in gambling wins last year even though I lost a hell of alot more

I don't think I will because I made too much. I work but the VA Vocational Rehab is telling to leave the job I am at because it is aggravating my SC'd injuries. Yes I would like to go back to school and finish what I should have finished years ago and if it gets me out of what I am doing now then I will go. I will probably have to make a sacrifice here and there and probably find part time work somewhere to offset my income. I have 7 years hardcore experience in Information Technology and Networking but don't have the degree. Now I am back working in Corrections, well something similar but more stressful, physically and mentally because I work around let's say mentally ill type patients. Anyway the college should be easy to me in IT because I know a lot of it already. Yes it changes every few years, new concepts and techniques but the core is still the same. So I am probably going to do it online at home. Anybody know a good college online? I was thinking Trident University but I don't know their reputation. I know there are a few out there but which one to choose is the hardest.

I had an appointment today with Vocational Rehab. The good news is the counselor stated that I do not need to be working in the position that I am in because it is aggravating my SC'd to the extreme, actually to the point that I went from Cervical Spine Pain in the Army to now a herniated disc causing left foraminal stenosis. She stated about paying for my Education and paying me substance allowans. My question is this to those who know or who have been through this. How do you survive financially doing this with a family of 4 if I have to go to school full time and not able to work at the same time because of the stressors? Just curious and would like some guidance into this. Thanks in advance...

You can always file a new claim or a claim for increase.

Don't forget---as a fulltime or part time student, VocRehab will be paying your tuition/books. In addition, you will receive a monthly subsistance allowance (plus additional $ for dependents) from the VA---and--you still draw your 40% VA Comp. Not a bad deal. Sure, having a family and going to school is not easy. Many aboard Hadit have done this. Still could involve you/spouse working some--part/fulltime, just depends on your financial status. Good luck!!

Well after researching and getting information I think Florida Technical University online will be the most suitable one for me. I read many reviews online about a lot of them "online colleges" and seen this one is Regionally Accredited compared to those who are Federally. There is a big difference in this. Regionally means you are considered a graduate just like you were at school compared to the others which states on the diploma that it was Ediploma type...Huge difference. My brother who works for IBM also advised me to go that route. So tomorrow I go see Counselor on the follow up on the testing I did so I am going to have a few questions for her. A Florida Tech Adviser told me today I would qualify for a few grants to help offset things which would help if I am able to get them. Student loans are out of the question because that would mean more debt after wards....:blink:BTW 2 classes with them is full time....

Edited by rpowell01