VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dealing With The Bva From Overseas

Rate this question

sandboxvet

Question

Hello all, dealing with the BVA from Germany without representation is tuff! I'm rated at 50 percent for PTSD and the BVA certified my case in January 2008 for an increase. I have a few questions:

1. My case was remanded to the Pittsburgh RO last year because my former attorney insisted on having a hearing. After cutting ties I informed the RO

that I no longer wanted a hearing and that I would need some time to submit final medical evidence. I've now been hospitalized

since January and diagnosed with multiple disorders (C-PTSD, Bipolar, BPD) and want to submit a final statement from my doctor. My

PTSD is service connected due to service in Iraq through medical evidence and witness statements. Would it be beneficial to bring up childhood trauma

in this claim or should my doctor only focus on Iraq til present?

2. Since 2007 I've worked not more than a few months and have been hospitalized for PTSD 4 times. Is it possible that the BVA would grant me TDIU also if

requested?

3. Will the BVA consider the Bipolar and BPD and rate them together with PTSD or make me file a new claim?

Sorry about the multiple questions. I'm under the gun at the moment and have very limited internet access. Thanks to those that respond.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

NEVER just bring up "childhood trauma" in any conversation at the VA. However, IF asked about it, tell the truth.

If you can get a doctor to state that, due to your PTSD and your multiple hospitalizations and your medications, that he/she does not think that you can actually BE employed and that they think that you will be unemployable into the unforeseeable future.

NEVER just bring up "childhood trauma" in any conversation at the VA. However, IF asked about it, tell the truth.

If you can get a doctor to state that, due to your PTSD and your multiple hospitalizations and your medications, that he/she does not think that you can actually BE employed and that they think that you will be unemployable into the unforeseeable future.

Is it not true that if military service aggravates a preexisting condition that it's compensation-able? As being diagnosed with Complex PTSD and having SC PTSD already awarded, would it not be beneficial to bring up past traumas?

My doctor is ready to prepare his final report now and I will be following the advice of this forum. Please more replies needed!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes but the VA nine out of ten will try to hang the whole thing on preexisting condition and downplay aggravation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it not true that if military service aggravates a preexisting condition that it's compensation-able? As being diagnosed with Complex PTSD and having SC PTSD already awarded, would it not be beneficial to bring up past traumas?

My doctor is ready to prepare his final report now and I will be following the advice of this forum. Please more replies needed!

It is true that if service aggravates a pre existing condition then it can be connected but I am cautioning you on this one.

Aggravation factor and regs spacifically state only the point of aggravation. That means they have the right to go chop chop to the rating schedule and cut the rating severely as they will put what they think the aggravation is. Say you deserve a 60 percent eval and the VA gives you a 30 orlower. possible even zero.

Jbasser

Edited by jbasser

Alright thanks everyone for the words of wisdom! Off to finalize the claim without drawing any undue attention.

There's still one question that's not been answered. Having been diagnosed with multiple mental illnesses since filing my claim for increased PTSD (all of which are said by my doctors to be triggered by Iraq trauma), will the BVA consider the additional illnesses when reviewing my claim or do I have to file a new claim with the RO?

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually another diagnosis becomes part of the original rating but does not get rated separately. In fact I don't think I have ever seen where the VA changed the original diagnosis they might mention both but no matter how depressed I get the VA will always rate me as Panic disorder or Panic disorder with depression. It is not a dimes worth of difference to your check either unless they increase your current rating cause you are worse off.