VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ulcerative Colitis Secondary To Ptsd?

Rate this question

Doc John

Question

I am currently rated 70% for PTSD. I have been diagnosed and suffering from ulcerative colitis since 1995. I currently see a non-VA physician and take medications to control the symptoms of the colitis. I also take meds for the PTSD which do not seem to have any effect on the ulcerative colitis. When my my PTSD symptoms are worse, so is the Ulcerative Colitis.

My first question to any veterans, physicians, or ratings examiners is: Does a probable connection between the Ulcerative Colitis and PTSD exist.

My second question is: If the two are connected, who is best qualified to make the connection before I request a C&P exam for increased compensation rate, my non-VA gastroenterologist or my VA psychiatrist?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

GOOD question-

personally I would seek an IMO from the non VA doctor.

This recent BVA case is similiar:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files5/1039996.txt

The veteran was denied for his colitus as aggravated by his SC PTSD because his IMO doctor did not prepare the IMO right.

The IMO criteria is here in our IMO forum.

If you can find some good medical citations of the link perhaps the gastro doc would use them or probably use some of his own medical citations.

If the VA psychiatrist is wiling to offer you a supportive opinion that is good too.

My personal experience however tells me that if one gets a strong IMO from a non VA doctor ,with expertise in field of disability, they are getting a more thorough and detailed opinion that whatever they will get from a C & P doctor (who might not even be a real doctor)

I suggest you claim your NSC colitis is 'aggravated' by your PTSD meds.If the claim succeeds, the VA will rate the level of aggravation.

Edited by Berta

Wait-I am wrong-I suggest you state that the PTSD aggravates your NSC colitis- you did say the meds have not aggravated it.

I missed that at first. Have you thoroughly reviewed any literatre on the PTSD meds to definitely rule out their affect on the colitis?

I found many similiar cases at the BVA but they were either denied or on remand.It is certainly possible that PTSD could have an effect on the colitis.

Berta, thank you.

It looks like I have some research work ahead of me.

My gastroenterologist outside of the VA says he can neither confirm nor deny that a nexus exists between the two conditions.

I will need another physician in the Tampa Bay area who can draw that line for me.

Ulcerative colitis, being a form of inflammatory bowel disease, is made worse by a lot of different things and I imagine my PTSD meds could surely be included. The problem is that no actual cause of the ulcerative colitis has ever been discovered. It seems to be an auto-immune disorder that causes the bowel to become inflamed and ulcerated. It is similar to Chron's disease and may have a genetic link.

There are some medicines (short term prednisone followed by specialized anti-inflammatories for the long term) that will control the symptoms and get the disease into remission.

But I know from my own personal experience that when my stress is up and my PTSD meds stop controling the stress, that the colitis flares up, too.

Wait-I am wrong-I suggest you state that the PTSD aggravates your NSC colitis- you did say the meds have not aggravated it.

I missed that at first. Have you thoroughly reviewed any literatre on the PTSD meds to definitely rule out their affect on the colitis?

I found many similiar cases at the BVA but they were either denied or on remand.It is certainly possible that PTSD could have an effect on the colitis.