VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Psych C&p Exam

Rate this question

ExAirman

Question

Got my C&P Exams - would appreciate your ideas on where I might fit on the Mental Disorder schedule.

Here are the important parts:

Diagnosis:

Axis I: 293.83, Mood disorder due to Graves Disease, Moderately Severe, with onset treatment in military service, following ablation of the thyroid gland, and use of Synthroid for Graves symptoms, without psychsis, but with passive suicidal ideations, denies intent and planning at this writting, Medicated continuously with Depakote. Sleep Disorder, Diagnosed in Sleep Laboratory as Sleep Apnea, with Use of CPAP machine, some Hypersomnia

Axis II: No Diagnosis

Axis III: (See concurrent Medical C&P Exam Reports)

Axis IV: Mild Psychosocial Stressors--Anxiety about the future and planning for future career plans, some anxiety about his ability to follow through with planning and realize goal

Axis V: Current GAF Score = 55

Judgement: Sound, no evident of impulsive or compulsive acting out behaviors

Thinking: Sometimes derailed with attention problems; essentially linear and goal directed. He worries about his ability to track information or task for ling, sustained periods of time. THis has been reduced and could have an adverse effect on ambitions to re-engage in school.

Mood: Moderately depressed, with passive suicidal idations, no suicidal or homicidal intent or plans. The mood disorder appears to be organic mood disorder, caused by his Graves disease and thyroid medications perhaps. It tests as moderately severe, although it has been continuously medicated with Depakote

There was reduced reliability and productivity due to Mental Disorder signs and symptoms cited/measured

Conclusions:

The veterans Organic Mood Disorder, predominantly depression, was diagnosed in the military and treated there my medicine and psychiatry, and was caused by or a result of diagnosed and treated Graves/thyroid disease onset during service

Thanks!happy.gif

P.S.

I was looking through my General Medical C&P and found the following:

Discussion:

"He is an intellegent, alert individual who appeared to be quite severely depressed."

"He has become somewhat of a social recluse but apparently is living in a friendly environment."

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good luck ExAirman and keep the positive stuff in your life going. Like you, I am at home most times- now especially and know it's hard to get up and do something other than on the computer. Keep going to get that exercise, it's social(with ur friend), physical, gets you out of the house and may relieve some stress. I give you good credit for being that strong. My back issues made me depressed and now that my PTSD all let out a few months ago life's been tough but being on here and seeing that I'm not alone helps. You are an inspiration to me, to hear you - I don't want my disabilities to own me! says alot about the strong person that you are and that inspires me to want to follow and do better for me, wife, family and all.

Armed with family, meds, a therapsit(just a few weeks now), good pain mgmt Doc(outside VA), positive thoughts, HADIT and positive stong people like you to I want to do, do better, do more,try harder. Thank you for posting and letting me and others know we are not alone.

Sincerely,

Aquabear

There was reduced reliability and productivity due to Mental Disorder signs and symptoms cited/measured

That's language out of the regs for 50%:

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining Effective work and social relationships ………………..50%

Of course the rater doesn't have to go with what the doctor wrote. If the doctor provided a lot details earlier in the report that include some of the above symptoms then

a 50% rating will be more likely IMHO. A 30% rating is probably a sure thing, if it's not 50%.

Joe