VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Without Medication

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

2 questions

1. If I meet the 50% rating criteria, is it reasonable to expect this rating without being place on any type of medication relating to the condition? I tried zoloft a few years ago and did not like the results. I have not been on any medication for this condition for a few years. I have found better results through counseling only without medication.

Can the VA use my TBI finding that I am SC for to explain away PTSD? I am looking at the memory part of the rating criteria and it looks like that is a significant portion of the 50% rating.

My in service combat stressor is pretty solid so I do not have to much concern with that area of the claim. This process happens at the same time (SC finding and rating) so I want to be prepared and able to defend it with a solid initial claim and avoid as much of the back and forth NOD as possible. I have had problems in the past with private doc's writting a finding and having the VA explain away the claim somehow. Then I have to jump through hoops to finally prove my case. I know this is sometime the reality but I would like to be prepared. If anyone has experienced the VA using the TBI finding(memory issues) for VA benefit to deny a PTSD claim please fill me in.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you able to work? If you have a job it is probably a fair rating. For me I would much rather take meds than deal with VA shrinks.

Pete,

I do work and I am a firefighter so this sometime aggravates my condition but I really want to try to stay employed. I think I easily fit the 30% rating but I am shooting for the 50%. Realistically I am not in the 70% rating so I do not want to even explore that issue.

So I suppose you are saying that 50% is fairly common(fitting the rating criteria of course) with employment? Or is that a percentage that the VA says "you can work," and gives you a lower rating even if your job and social life are effected by the PTSD?

I hear you on the meds over the VA.

Thanks for your comments

• HadIt.com Elder

.......and, of course, the C&P for PTSD is just that, a C&P, so if you are concerned that the examiner will place you on some sort of medication for your PTSD symptoms, then do not worry, the examiner is ONLY going to determine IF you suffer from PTSD and they are not going to try to TREAT the PTSD.........that is out of their realm.

Now, have you looked at the NEW VA Form #21-526EZ? Download it and read the instructions. This is really a good thing, this form, for it allows you to provide all the necessary paperwork UP FRONT. I've had good luck with this form, ESPECIALLY for PTSD claims (some have even been received within a MONTH, believe it or not).

Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I will look up that form as I did not know about it. I am very glad you chimed in with that information. On the medication subject. I am not concern about being placed on medication from the C&P examiner. I am more specifically asking if it is common to file a PTSD claim and have it be successful with all the other rating criteria under 50% but not being prescribed any type of medication for PTSD. Sorry for the run on sentence. Thanks again Larry I will have to check out that form.

• HadIt.com Elder

bigoc - being on meds is like using a prosthesis, you don't "have" to take meds or use the prosthesis, unless you want to. I'm 100%, for PTSD, over 20yrs, and have only used meds twice, for about 3 months, at a time. Once you're service connected, stressors don't mean anything. You should be able to get 50% while still working but I would doubt you could get it, while successfully working, w/a stressful job like firefighting. Since you're 90% already, it sounds like you're trying to get rated 100% and still work. Good luck on that! Watch that firefighting and PTSD, cuz it'll definitely have some stressors and work may not understand. jmo

pr

Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I will look up that form as I did not know about it. I am very glad you chimed in with that information. On the medication subject. I am not concern about being placed on medication from the C&P examiner. I am more specifically asking if it is common to file a PTSD claim and have it be successful with all the other rating criteria under 50% but not being prescribed any type of medication for PTSD. Sorry for the run on sentence. Thanks again Larry I will have to check out that form.

Edited by Philip Rogers

Phillip

Thank you for your comments. I am wondering what meds has to do with a stressor of PTSD? I thought being on meds would be part of the rating area of the claim and not a stressor. I am new to understanding how the VA rates this condition so I am not an expert by any means just a thought.

I go through this debate with the 100% and still working subject periodically. That is why I mentioned the 50% but I am just researching and can see where I might not fit the 50% rating. I am absolutely in the 30% rating for PTSD. I fit the entire description without question. It seems the rating criteria for 30% even states something to the effect of normal conduct at work. I know it does not say normal conduct but something to that effect. 30% reads to me as a condition that effects you but you are able to still get through work with out losing your job, just minor occasional slip ups. I have made lots of changes at work and make a huge effort every day to over come my injury's/conditions to stay at my job. Work is my best help, maybe to for some others but this is how I deal with it.