VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Journey To Get A Psd - Ptsd Service Dog

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

As some of you may know my sweet little pug Etta James passed away Sept 29, 2010. It's been a difficult mourning process for me and as the immobilizing grief started to ease I felt a deep loneliness. I thought about another dog, however I'm not at the point in my life where a puppy is a good solution for me nor is a shelter dog.

I thought a lot about my little Etta and began to realize I needed not just a pet but also a partner who could help me with my PTSD. Looking back over the years I could see how my Etta helped me do that from nightmares to strange noises she was always there to reassure me and just seemed to naturally learn when she needed to clown and when she needed to cuddle. I thought about how unlikely it would be to find another dog like that.

However, not wanting to give up I started researching breeds and came across information on service dogs for veterans with PTSD, I read a bunch and watched a lot of videos. I talked to my psychologist and to my psychiatrist about it, both agreed it would be good for me. I called the VA to find out about it, I looked on the internet, I had a bit of a hard time finding information on anything in my area.

With some luck I found a place in my area that does train PTSD service dogs, I called my PTSD clinic nurse manager and she had heard of the organization and they had a good reputation. So I took a deep breath and called them, they were very helpful and kind. I completed my application and mailed it in yesterday. So we will see what happens. My psychiatrist has to fax them a form confirming I have a diagnosis of PTSD and hopefully they will do that sooner rather than later. The application process takes time, I've completed the first step. If my application is accepted then they will schedule a home visit. When a dog is a available I must attend a two week training session which is to train me on how to work with the dog and to develop a bond between me and my new best friend.

If you want to read about the organization that I went through their website is here http://supportdogs.org/ If you want to watch some videos about PTSD dogs you can find some here http://ow.ly/4bz6n

I'll post back here to let you know whether my application is accepted or not. Wish me luck!

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow you are on your way. I think a service dog would be a large comfort to you.

Pete

I think a service dog would be a wonderful addition to your life. We have a dog, or shall I say my husband has a dog. Although he's not a service dog, he enriches my husbands life dramatically. I wonder if the VA would pay to train our dog as a service dog? That would be great for veterans that already have dogs, but the dogs are not disciplined enough to be considered 'in service'.

• Founder

May 18th I go in for my interview. They will give me a tour of the facility. I will meet some of the dogs and do a short test to see how I handle the dogs, then a personal interview. After that I wait to see if they approve me. If they approve then I wait for a dog to become available it can take up to a year. But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good.

May 18th I go in for my interview. They will give me a tour of the facility. I will meet some of the dogs and do a short test to see how I handle the dogs, then a personal interview. After that I wait to see if they approve me. If they approve then I wait for a dog to become available it can take up to a year. But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good.

Remember your own words Tbird! "But all good things are worth waiting for. So far so good" Be patient you will soon greet your new found friend and house mate. All good things happen to good people who keep the faith. Remember my salute. Respect, honor, and the Love of your fellow comrades will help keep you sane until SPOT gets there LOL Hang tight!! I think its a wonderful idea!!