VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Menstual Issues For Gulf War Vets

Rate this question

vetinpa

Question

Does anyone have any information on what is meant by menstrual disorders listed as a presumptive injury with persian gulf veterans. The reason I ask is that I was recently awarded my persian gulf claim but for only a few items listed. They did not address the menstrual issue listed. However, I have a second claim that dates back a few years prior to my gulf war claim for the menstraul long before it became a presumptive injury. It was denied and is on appeal at the BVA, but again this is before the presumptive injury came out and it is on the list. In my case, I have a history in my military record of menstrual issues that started after the gulf, eventually leading into a full hysterectomy at age 35.

Since it is now on the presumptive, what is my chance of the BVA granting it?

Does any one know where there is information on the menstrual issues that is more specific. It is simply listed with no real definition. Does that mean any documented menstrual issue?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Whatever happened with your hysterectomy claim?  I filed mine a year after your post and here we are, six years later and I appealed the denial and was told if I wasn't in the area where the fires were that it wasn't a true "presumptive".  Now, all these years later and I have to find a gynecologist to write a nexus letter.  Do you know how hard it is to get a doctor you've never seen try to piece together the puzzle of my service record 25 years ago and agree to write a nexus letter?  So much for the "presumptive" part.  I'm really hoping you're there and will tell me how your claim worked out for you and the steps you took.

Edited by Donna Burns

I haven't done very much research on menstrual disorders, because I am a guy.  You need to focus on the undiagnosed part for any Gulf War Claim.  The condition has to be:  

A:  an undiagnosed illness (within the set of symptoms)

(or)

B:  a diagnosable but medically unexplainable condition.  examples are IBS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia... 

So are your menstrual issues undiagnosed, or do you have multiple providers who have diagnosed you with different conditions(none of them agree that one specific condition is the cause of your issues).  If your issues are diagnosed and a provider can explain them then you are going to have problems getting gulf war connection.  

I have had test after test for more than 20 years, and every provider says my symptoms are explainable, or diagnosed me with something that the other providers disagree with. C&P examiner said there was nothing wrong with me. I was finally diagnosed with IBS, CFS, and FM, by my local provider, not VA providers.  I was service connected after my provider completed and I submitted DBQ's.

I searched around and found the following:

Googled for some info and found some with these sites too: Gulf war vets.com, National Gulf War Resource Center Inc,gulf war vets.com/ubb/ultimatebb.phb?, American Gulf war Veterans Association-VHA Handbook 1303.2, Gulf Registry handbook...

Anyway here is some info I found specific to your questions:

Reproductive Health Problems

Uterus displacement

Heavy bleeding/cramping

Ovarian cysts

Cervical cancer

Sexual problems

Conception problems

Birth defects/congenital disorders

Menopause

Fallopian tube problems

Infertility

Menstrual irregularities

Vaginal infections

these are not inclusive, just one's I found thus far...found some who had partial and total hysterectomy's too... With your post of in service menstrual problems and a total hysterectomy these would seem to be presumptive in the relationship of Gulf War. Did you have your hysterectomy in service? Loss of these reproductive organs could also be a claim here if so in service.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I had the hysterectomy out of service, but the heavy bleeding, fibroids, had an ovarian cyst drained a few times. I had 5 fibroids the size of oranges, they removed my uterus, appendix and the fibroids, so I guess mine would be a partial hysterectomy, they had to cut me hip to hip because they were too big to do with any other type of surgery. 35 is young for a hysterectomy. As mentioned below, I had issues with heavy bleeding, sometimes months at a time that is documented in my military records. I can make the connection but not sure if the VA will. If you run across anything else, I would appreciate. again thanks for the reply. I am looking as well. Thanks for the information on the loss of reproductive organ, I guess that would be something to pursue if they grant the claim.