VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Smc Rating?

Rate this topic

I am currently attempting to increase a rating from 40% to 100%. I should take it one step at a time but in the interest of quelling my curiosity I have a question. All the rating I will list are currently what I have except the TBI. I will list the TBI at 100% as this is what I am hopefully anticipating.

What would this situation end up with rating wise?

TBI 100% (not sure if it will be P&T)Psoriasis 60% Cervical spine 20%small joint 10%small joint 10%small joint 10%tinnitus 10%

Also I am not home bound.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you go to the Schedule of Ratings here (link at the right hand side of Claims Research) and look up each of your conditions and see what your documented medical evidence matches.

I looked up psoriasis for you in a BVA decision:

"Under Diagnostic Code 7816, a noncompensable evaluation is

warranted for psoriasis affecting less than 5 percent of the

entire body or exposed areas affected, and; no more than topical

therapy required during the past 12-month period. A 10 percent

evaluation is warranted for psoriasis affecting at least 5

percent, but less than 20 percent, of the entire body, or at

least 5 percent, but less than 20 percent, of exposed areas

affected, or; intermittent systemic therapy such as

corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive drugs required for a

total duration of less than six weeks during the past 12-month

period. A 30 percent evaluation is warranted for psoriasis

affecting 20 to 40 percent of the entire body or 20 to 40 percent

of exposed areas affected, or; systemic therapy such as

corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive drugs required for a

total duration of six weeks or more, but not constantly, during

the past 12-month period. 38 C.F.R. § 4.118, Diagnostic Code

7816."

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files4/1037488.txt

As you can see this would take a review of your psoriasis treatment records to guess on what rating they will give you.And it would still be a guess.

It is to every veteran';s advantage to familiarize themselves with VA's Schedule of Ratings.

They can compare not only the rating info as applied to their med records, they also can tell if the diagnostic code VA gives them is correct.

If you don't have an established service nexus already for these conditions (such as the TBI)or definite medical evidence they could be secondary-then that is more important to attempt to resolve with evidence than worrying about the potential rating.

You do not have to be housebound to be awarded the rate for housebound. SMC are ratings over the 100% rate, as Veterans weren't allowed to be paid in excess of 100%. I've been trying to find that old law, and for the life of me I just can't find it!

Here is the CFR for it.... 38 CFR 3.350

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and, (1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or (2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can get 100% or TDIU you should be eligible for an SMC "s" award which is $320 a month, additional.

pr

I am currently attempting to increase a rating from 40% to 100%. I should take it one step at a time but in the interest of quelling my curiosity I have a question. All the rating I will list are currently what I have except the TBI. I will list the TBI at 100% as this is what I am hopefully anticipating.

What would this situation end up with rating wise?

TBI 100% (not sure if it will be P&T)Psoriasis 60% Cervical spine 20%small joint 10%small joint 10%small joint 10%tinnitus 10%

Also I am not home bound.