VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dm Ii Neuropathy With Neurologic Complication

Rate this question

Chu Lai69

Question

I am being treated at the VA for neuropathy of both feet and all toes. I went to a private Pod today because the VA in STL could not use their cutting tools yet because of being closed down for all medical procedures requiring any type of minor/major surgeries or anything that was done that they had to use a so called surgical tool i.e. clipping of toe nails and cutting off of calluses. Im sure you all have read or seen the stories on TV about this!! Anyway, I just could not wait any longer because of the pain in my feet was really getting intolerable so I went to a private POD. This was her diagnosis: My Neuropathy is caused by my DM. " DM II neuropathy with neurologic complications" Is this claimable as 2ndary to my DM?? Any help with this would be appreciated. Will be going back to VA POD soon as the all clear for surgeries etc have been activated again. Thanks in advance, as always.

Edited by Chu Lai69

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"DM II neuropathy with neurologic complications" Is this claimable as 2ndary to my DM?? " Absolutely Chu Lai

I hope she documented that in your private records somehow and I sure would file claim for the PN as well as any foot problems you have.Even if VA rates your foot problems at “0” SC at this time-, they could get worse in the future and the SC would already be established if they do get worse.

“Of the sixteen million Americans with diabetes, 25% will develop foot problems related to the disease. Diabetic foot conditions develop from a combination of causes including poor circulation and neuropathy. Diabetic Neuropathy can cause insensitivity or a loss of ability to feel pain, heat, and cold.

Diabetics suffering from neuropathy can develop minor cuts, scrapes, blisters, or pressure sores that they may not be aware of due to the insensitivity. If these minor injuries are left untreated, complications may result and lead to ulceration and possibly even amputation. Neuropathy can also cause deformities such as Bunions, Hammer Toes, and Charcot Feet. “

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/foot-complications.html

Berta is right, Chu Lai. I speak from experience. I too have DM II w/PN, both upper and lower extremeties. If at all possible, see a private neurologist and have nerve studies done to back up your POD's diagnosis. As in most cases, the private sector has more up to date equipment and can give you a more accurate diagnosis than the VAMC.I was diagnosed by a VA neurologist as having mild PN. But 4 months later a private neurologist, using state of the art equipment, diagnosed me with severe PN.

And absolutely, file that claim yesterday!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Chu Lai

Be very careful about any "cutting" on your feet. People with DMII heal slower than those without DMII. I had a minor procedure done on my foot and it resulted in a staff infection. 10 months later after having to go into hospital I am still in pain on my foot. Now I have to go to a plastic surgeron to try and reduce the scar on the bottom of my foot. I spent one month of daily infusions of anti-biotic to try and kill the infection. If your pod cuts you or nicks you could end up with a staff infection. Go to the best pod you can find and let them know you have PN. People with DMII and PN have a much larger chance of losing a foot or leg than others. If I was you I would also get my legs tested for circulation problems. I had this problem and did not even know until blockage showed up on CT scan.

This also somewhat applies to me. I am going to see a private neurologist about my neuropathy. Some of this topic from" Chu Lai" has raised a few questions. If I have a 0% rating for foot pain, and now have been confirmed I have neuropathy in my feet which as spread to the rest of the body. would I also be to claim this as secondary to my feet , and if so, to use the feet neuropathy to secondary to the rest of the body-this is so confusing. I apologize if I I am interfering in this thread..

John I understand that PAD (peripheral arterial disease) can also be due to DMII or to IHD with or without having DMII.

And I also understand VA can rate this separately from the PN.We had a vet here fairly recently who gets separate ratings for both PN and PAD.

In one of my IMOs from Dr. Bash he stated the veteran had PAD due to his undiagnosed DMII and undiagnosed IHD from the DMII. I recall my husband said he was always numb from the chest down but I never attributed this to PAD.I never even claimed PN or PAD in my AO IHD claim.

PAD if left untreated can become serious business.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-arterial-disease/DS00537

You gave GREAT info here as to diabetic foot problems.

Diabetes doesn't kill anyone. It's complications do.

When I reviewed my past FTCA/1151 claims and then , upon my daughter's insistence,I re opened for undiagnosed DMII- (and won direct SC death due to AO)

I was shocked at how little I knew about diabetes and the many complications it can cause.

Along with only a few abnormally high glucose readings, I found considerable other evidence in the med recs that pointed to untreated and undiagnosed DMII as cause of my husband's CVAs,IHD, and his death.

There was one word in the autopsy that I had failed to look up in a medical dictionary.I guess Dr. Bash took good note of it.

It might have been the sole piece of evidence I really needed.

I looked it up after the award letter came.

It revealed the consequences by autopsy of untreated DMII to the heart.

None of us are doctors here but we sure need to discuss DMII from time to time as I bet there are MANY diabetic veterans who do not know what they need to watch out for-such as sores that arent healing well, and all sorts of foot conditions.

Chu Lai did the right thing by getting a real podiatrist to handle his foot problems.Good for you Chu Lai, even if they do begin to use their surgical equipment again.

John I understand that PAD (peripheral arterial disease) can also be due to DMII or to IHD with or without having DMII.

And I also understand VA can rate this separately from the PN.We had a vet here fairly recently who gets separate ratings for both PN and PAD.

In one of my IMOs from Dr. Bash he stated the veteran had PAD due to his undiagnosed DMII and undiagnosed IHD from the DMII. I recall my husband said he was always numb from the chest down but I never attributed this to PAD.I never even claimed PN or PAD in my AO IHD claim.

PAD if left untreated can become serious business.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-arterial-disease/DS00537

You gave GREAT info here as to diabetic foot problems.

Diabetes doesn't kill anyone. It's complications do.

When I reviewed my past FTCA/1151 claims and then , upon my daughter's insistence,I re opened for undiagnosed DMII- (and won direct SC death due to AO)

I was shocked at how little I knew about diabetes and the many complications it can cause.

Along with only a few abnormally high glucose readings, I found considerable other evidence in the med recs that pointed to untreated and undiagnosed DMII as cause of my husband's CVAs,IHD, and his death.

There was one word in the autopsy that I had failed to look up in a medical dictionary.I guess Dr. Bash took good note of it.

It might have been the sole piece of evidence I really needed.

I looked it up after the award letter came.

It revealed the consequences by autopsy of untreated DMII to the heart.

None of us are doctors here but we sure need to discuss DMII from time to time as I bet there are MANY diabetic veterans who do not know what they need to watch out for-such as sores that arent healing well, and all sorts of foot conditions.

Chu Lai did the right thing by getting a real podiatrist to handle his foot problems.Good for you Chu Lai, even if they do begin to use their surgical equipment again.

Thanks all for your great input on this topic. FILED!! LOL Yes I have a copy of the private POD's treatment and DX. I asked her if should would write me a letter so I could give the VA with her treatment and DX of me and she said of course she would. Stated should be in the mail in a couple of days and if not to call her back to make sure. Thanks again to everyone who responded with very helpful advise as usual. YOU people are great!!

PS I have been being treated for the feet problems at the VA all the way down to them getting me DM shoes (2 pair)plus being put on Neuropathy meds Gabapentin 300mg. So I do know its in the VA records. I go to the VA POD March 30th. I will take the information from the private POD with me to give to her all so. 10% more would give me the 100+60.(house bound) So thanks again.

Edited by Chu Lai69