VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living Program - Creating An Independent Living Plan -- Template Help!

Rate this question

fanaticbooks

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm still attempting to create something that might work. PLEASE offer any and all suggestions to improve it. If I am writing it wrong, let me know! Not having been part of the system, I am working blind. ALL are welcome to critique, negative or positive. PLEASE!

fanaticbooks

Creating an Independent Living Plan---Template

STEP A: VA Form 28-8872

http://www.vba.va.go...rms/28-8872.pdf

Within the form are numbered "Objectives" requiring descriptions. Since you are going for NEEDS of multiple stuff, it might be easier to say: "See Attachment".

STEP B: Attachment

NOTE: When writing a report of this sort—

- Describe using specific details;

- Keep your sentences short. If one word will work in place of two, use the one word.

- Keep your paragraphs short.

1. Headings on ALL pages identifying:

Your Name/Address

Claim/SS Number

2. Objective : Needed Item Name/Service

3. Describe why, how and what you hope to accomplish. (Use the following questions to help you focus your answer)

a. How is my life without it?

Give details. Focus on actual physical/mental areas impacted not just a generic overall having-difficulties type of sentence.

b. How can it improve my life?

Give specific improvement possibilities, whether physical or mental.

c. How does this affect my family/social life?

- Describe how your disability impacts your family/social interaction now, and then

- Describe what you hope will be the result if given this objective.

d. Give specific information about item if known

- Brand/Model

- Specific Organization(s) if training or services

- Cost

e. As needed, explain WHY you NEED that specific item/training/service provider.

f. Enclose/include input from your PCP or other doctor(s) concerning this objective.

Repeat the above as necessary for each Objective or Needed item.

EXAMPLE:

Objective: Ramp

a. How is my life without it?

-----It is hard to climb stairs since my legs are very painful to lift. We have 5 stairs to our front door which I have to traverse regularly

b. How can it improve my life?

-----I can stroll up the ramp without additional pain since I shuffle rather than lift my legs

c. How does this affect my family/social life?

-----I will get out more since I don't have to contend with stairs. I won't need family helping me go up and down to get into my front door

d. Give specific information about item if known.

-----Need local contractor bid for "xteen' X b.5', 2-12 pitch ramp.

e. As needed, explain WHY you NEED that specific item/training/service provider

-----Tried others; this one seemed easiest to use.

f. Enclose/include input your PCP or other doctor provides concerning this objective.

-----PCP: Dr. V. Physcare MD; reccomend ramp for phyiological mobility constrains for double-jointed knee junctural lacerations.

Signed, __________________, DR. V. A. Physcare

-----PMMHCP (CP); N. E. Shrink, Licensed Psychologist, Phd.; recommend ramp for increased access for socialization.

Signed, __________________, N. E. Shrink, Licensed Psychologist, Phd.

STEP C: Additional Enclosure

To be printed out to include with the attachment:

38 USC Sec. 3104 02/01/2010

TITLE 38 - VETERANS' BENEFITS

PART III - READJUSTMENT AND RELATED BENEFITS

CHAPTER 31 - TRAINING AND REHABILITATION FOR VETERANS WITH SERVICE-CONNECTED DISABILITIES

Sec. 3104. Scope of services and assistance

(a) Services and assistance which the Secretary may provide under this chapter, pursuant to regulations which the Secretary shall prescribe, include the following:

(15) Services necessary to enable a veteran to achieve maximum independence in daily living.

(16) Other incidental goods and services determined by the Secretary to be necessary to accomplish the purposes of a rehabilitation program in an individual case.

Sec. 3105. Duration of rehabilitation programs

(d)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), the period of a program of independent living services and assistance for a veteran under this chapter (following a determination by the Secretary that such veteran's disability or disabilities are so severe that the achievement of a vocational goal currently is not reasonably feasible) may not exceed twenty-four months.

(2)(A) The period of a program of independent living services and assistance for a veteran under this chapter may exceed twenty-four months as follows:

(i) If the Secretary determines that a longer period is necessary and likely to result in a substantial increase in the veteran's level of independence in daily living.

Sec. 3120. Program of independent living services and assistance

(d) A program of independent living services and assistance for a veteran shall consist of such services described in section 3104(a) of this title as the Secretary determines necessary to enable such veteran to achieve maximum independence in daily living. Such veteran shall have the same rights with respect to an individualized written plan of services and assistance as are afforded veterans under section 3107 of this title.

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 21—VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION AND EDUCATION

Subpart A—Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 31

Individualized Written Rehabilitation Plan

§ 21.90 Individualized independent living plan.

(a) Purpose. The purpose of the IILP is to identify the steps through which a veteran, whose disabilities are so severe that a vocational goal is not currently reasonably feasible, can become more independent in daily living within the family and community.

(b) Elements of the plan. The IILP shall follow the same structure as the IWRP. The plan will include:

(1) Services which may be provided under Chapter 31 to achieve independence in daily living;

(2) Utilization of programs with a demonstrated capacity to provide independent living services for severely handicapped persons;

(3) Services provided under other Department of Veterans Affairs and non-Department of Veterans Affairs programs needed to achieve the goals of the plan;

(4) Arrangements for maintaining the improved level of independence following completion of the plan.

Independent Living Services

§ 21.160 Independent living services.

(a) Purpose. The purpose of independent living services is to assist eligible veterans whose ability to function independently in family, community, or employment is so limited by the severity of disability (service and nonservice-connected) that vocational or rehabilitation services need to be appreciably more extensive than for less disabled veterans.

© Situations under which independent living services may be furnished. Independent living services may be furnished:

(4) (i) Function more independently in the family and community without the assistance of others or a reduced level of the assistance of others;

(d) Services which may be authorized. The services which may be authorized as part of an IILP (Individualized Independent Living Plan) include:

(1) Any appropriate service which may be authorized for a vocational rehabilitation program as that term is defined in §21.35(i), except for a course of education or training as described in §21.120; and

(2) Independent living services offered by approved independent living centers and programs which are determined to be necessary to carry out the veteran's plan including:

(i) Evaluation of independent living potential;

(ii) Training in independent living skills;

(iii) Attendant care;

(iv) Health maintenance programs; and

(v) Identifying appropriate housing accommodations.

(e) Coordination with other VA elements and other Federal, State, and local programs. Implementation of programs of independent living services and assistance will generally require extensive coordination with other VA and non-VA programs. If appropriate arrangements cannot be made to provide these services through VA, other governmental, private nonprofit and for-profit agencies and facilities may be used to secure necessary services if the requirements contained in §21.294 are met.

Special Rehabilitation Services

§ 21.156 Other incidental goods and services.

(a) General. Other incidental goods and services may be authorized if the case manager determines them to be necessary to implement the veteran's rehabilitation plan. For example, a calculator may be authorized for a veteran pursuing an engineering degree, even though the veteran may not be required to have a calculator for any specific subject in his or her course, where there is substantial evidence that lack of a calculator places the veteran at a distinct disadvantage in successfully pursuing the course.

§ 21.210 Supplies.

(a) Purpose of furnishing supplies. Supplies are furnished to enable a veteran to pursue rehabilitation and achieve the goals of his or her program.

(b) Definition. The term supplies includes books, tools, and other supplies and equipment which VA determines are necessary for the veteran's rehabilitation program.

© Periods during which supplies may be furnished. Supplies may be furnished during:

(1) Extended evaluation;

(4) An independent living services program.

§ 21.216 Special equipment.

(b) Coordination with other VA elements in securing special equipment. In any case in which the veteran needs special equipment and is eligible for such equipment under other VA programs, such as medical care and treatment at VA medical centers, the items will be secured under that program. The veteran must be found ineligible for needed special equipment under other programs and benefits administered by VA before the item may be authorized under Chapter 31.

July 22, 1992 M28-1, Part II

Change 5

CHAPTER 8. PROGRAM OF INDEPENDENT LIVING SERVICES

e. Barriers to Independent Living. The goal of an IL program is to increase the veteran’s options, resulting in an improved quality of life. options may be limited by skill deficits or by physical, environmental, or psychological factors. For example, some veterans may be able to overcome certain cognitive limitations through training intended to improve problem-solving. Some independent living program participants may need to learn how to manage personal care attendants, use adaptive equipment, and shop for necessities. For others, technological devices such as motorized wheelchairs or vehicle modifications may facilitate independent living. Supportive services, e.g., attendant care and health maintenance programs, may ameliorate the physical factors which increase the veteran’s dependence on others. Architectural modifications and advocacy to promote disabled persons, rights to barrier-free access may reduce environmental problems. Peer and professional counseling may decrease psychological hindrances to independence. A disabled veteran’s anxiety about discharge from an institution may diminish through interaction with other disabled persons who are successfully adjusting to community living.

f. Independent Living Services and the Rehabilitation Process. The goal of the IL program is not necessarily that the disabled veteran be able to live alone in the community with no supportive services. Rather, the goal is for that individual to have the skills necessary to choose an acceptable life-style and then be able to manage it with as little reliance on others as possible. in some instances, however, the veteran may require continuing services beyond completion of the IL program to maintain the level of independence achieved during the program. (See par. 8.05b below for limitations on these long-term services.)

8.05 DURATION AND LIMITATION OF SERVICES

A program of IL services will not exceed the period necessary to restore independence in daily living. The duration of a program will not exceed 24 calendar months except as indicated in subparagraphs a and b below.

a. Extension for 6 Months. The CP may approve an extension of a program of IL services for up to 6 months if the additional period is necessary and should result in an increase in independence. The CP must carefully document in the veteran’s CER (Counseling/Evaluation/Rehabilitation) folder specifically how the additional services should lead to the desired results. No program may exceed 30 months.

b. Limitation of Selected Services. Some IL needs identified during the initial phase of program planning for a veteran may require services following completion of the program and, in some cases, for the rest of the veteran’s life. For example, the veteran might have a life-long need for a personal care attendant and for transportation assistance. Since the time a veteran can participate in the program is limited, program planning must focus on ways to meet these continuous needs following IL program participation. Vocational rehabilitation program funding for long-term needs is limited to the IL program period. During IL program participation the case manager will attempt to secure sources which will continue the assistance beyond the completion of the program. In no instance, however, may the VR&C Division provide these services beyond the maximum 30 months for an IL program.

***********************************************************************************************

Additional Stuff to Help You:

Some areas (but not limited to these areas) to consider as you examine what you need:

Outdoor:

Sports activities

Gardening

Yardwork

Safety/security measures

Remodeling/renovations

Safety additions

ADA work

Security

Medical Aids

Sleeping

Hearing

Walking

Eating

Bathing

Cooking

Social

Group skills

Online activities

Music

Theater

Art

Exercise

Dance

Swimming

Traveling

Photography

Shop tools

Craft tools

Lessons for specific learning

Daily Living

Housekeeping chores

Bookkeeping

Schedule Keeping

Memory Aids

Cooking

Cleaning

***********************************************************************************************

Miscellaneous Items Received by Multiple Veterans

The following list contains items that multiple veterans have requested and received. This list is just to show you the range of possibilities. If what you need is not on this list, don't worry about it. Each item is just to give as examples, not to think they are the only things available to you.

Since each veteran's needs are different, you will have to tailor your list to your requirements. List what YOU need for your Independent Living when you put your plan together.

digital camera

Multiple Camera accessories

Picture printer with accessories

Laptop computer w/wireless remote

Printer

Other computer accessories

Computer software

Planning calendar

Correspondence course

How-To Books

Home study course (financial management/investing)

Adjustable Hospital type chair

Lift Chair/Recliner w/Infra-red heat, massage, lumbar support—raises, lowers and reclines by remote attached to chair.

Bathtub chair

Shiatsu chair

Orthopedic bed with hospital controls

Shiatsu massager table bed

Memory foam mattress

Body pillow

Temperpedic pillow

Temperpedic mattress

Inversion table

Auto back support system

Shiatsu auto seat massager

Non-slip shower mat

Shower head w/hose

Hand rail in shower

Hand rails

Kitchen stairs stool

Long handled shoe horn

Long handled reacher

Long handled sponge

Alarm system with a panic button

Intercom system

Electric Can opener

Bowflex home gym

Power scooter

Riding lawn mower

Leaf collection system

John Deer garden tractor w/snow blower, tiller, aerator, dethatcher, mower deck and leaf vacuum

Central vacuum unit

Gas range

Roland Fantom G8 Workstation / Keyboard / Synthesizer

Roland Amplifier for Piano

Stand for Keyboard

Stool for Keyboard

Headphones for keyboard

Electric guitar and amp

Guitar lessons

Room addition to house laundry facilities

Renovating master bath and all toilets to ADA standard

Concrete floor 30 x 60 ft, heater included greenhouse

Miller wire-feed welder

Side Grinder

Band saw for metal

18" re saw band saw for wood

10" delta table saw

Hitachi 12" combination cut off saw

Sawdust collection unit

Dewalt screw gun

Clamps

Supply of steel for a project

Knifesmithing lessons

Tools to make knives

Sculpture molding and casting – two sculptures

Edited by fanaticbooks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I just sign up for the Independent Living Program. My VA case manager will send a nurse to my home to do a assessment next week. He states that I tell the nurse what I need for my daily living needs. I 'm asking to attend a 2 years college computer repair program. I will ask for a lab top with a copy/fax/printer wireless and to give me a walk in shower. What others things I can ask for?

• HadIt.com Elder

I just sign up for the Independent Living Program. My VA case manager will send a nurse to my home to do a assessment next week. He states that I tell the nurse what I need for my daily living needs. I 'm asking to attend a 2 years college computer repair program. I will ask for a lab top with a copy/fax/printer wireless and to give me a walk in shower. What others things I can ask for?

Evaluate what you do around your house, how is your home compatible or not with you, any problems traveling, personal hygiene, socializing.

From what I can see as someone who just reads posts about this, you can ask for any NEED you think is pertinent.

Just be sure that you have the reason it is a NEED and how it could help you.

That's why I have created this template. Hopefully it will help.

Thank you for this thread. I do believe I'm going to apply. I paid for remodeling of my kitchen (I designed it), myself, never knowing of this program, nor did the VA tell me about it. I was looking to purchase a walk in bath, a gate for my stairs (main area I'm afraid of losing balance at), and some way to get laundry facilities on my upper level (I have a bilevel, main floor is upper level). In the house, those are my main concerns as I was most careful in "me proofing" my living quarters. I HATE having to rely on my daughter to do my laundry, being able to do it myself would help restore some of my independence, and pride. Hmm, an intercom, to call for help would also be a plus, as with my MS, I tend to lose my voice.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay,

I've just added some legalese to the template info. This could possibly be used to confirm your right to requesting some NEEDS the VA does not want to provide.

Of course, the NEED would have to be approved by your doctor. duh.

Let me know if it is:

Too much?

Eliminate some?

Add others?

Please KIBITZ!

fb