VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Stressor Is Getting In The Way Of Life

Rate this question

Question

Just want to vent - don't know what to do. I had an eye appointment today. My daughter usually goes with me,or if she cannot, another sister veteran steps in. Turns out neither one could go with me today, so I decided that I could do this.

Well, I was extremely anxious, but marched on. Everything fell apart when the technician walked in. I had a panic attack right in the office - the man looked exactly like my rapist.

I ran out and drove home. I was a mess - still am, although a little bit calmer.

I feel horrible. This man was just doing his job. I could not say what was wrong with me when they kept asking. I felt so ashamed and guilty.

When does it end?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

top,

Hang in there.

In my opinion - after decades I feel - it doesn't end,

there are just times when there are more triggers and flashbacks,

than others.

It's good to focus on our times when these are not as frequent.

If you have meds for anxiety perhaps now is a good time to take

a dose and lay down for a bit.

Just want to vent - don't know what to do. I had an eye appointment today. My daughter usually goes with me,or if she cannot, another sister veteran steps in. Turns out neither one could go with me today, so I decided that I could do this.

Well, I was extremely anxious, but marched on. Everything fell apart when the technician walked in. I had a panic attack right in the office - the man looked exactly like my rapist.

I ran out and drove home. I was a mess - still am, although a little bit calmer.

I feel horrible. This man was just doing his job. I could not say what was wrong with me when they kept asking. I felt so ashamed and guilty.

When does it end?

I agree with Carlie Top, it never ends!! We learn to cope and understand that with good treatment things can get better, but it sure is hard to do. After 40 years it still hurts but I try to stay positive. Its like my drinking,(was, recovering) it's one day at a time and that's after being sober for 20 years now. Trust me when I say I share your feelings, thoughts, and pain. Try and have faith and know that you are not alone. A great Vet Center phys has helped me soooooooooo much. Hang in there and I will say prayers of strength for you.

Thank you. After I "vented," I took one of my pills which really did help calm me down. I just get so extremely angry that one, evil person can still have that much control over my life. You all have given me some good advice. I will go and see the patient advocate to talk about it and hopefully be able to finish the examination.

• HadIt.com Elder

Today I am going to VAMC for auditory clinic. I want to go and one of my sons is taking me. One of my triggers is being in a place where I have to wait. Since I am being taken I have the luxury of taking a xanax to go,

I am sorry that this happened to you but I see some good in the whole episode. Main thing is your awareness of the trigger and the positive steps you are taking.

I remember when I had panic attacks and did not have a clue except that I thought I was crazy.

It never ends but it does get better. I have done some amazing things including flying to Mexico four times with my family.Its amazing that I even fo to the VA cause I had a lot of panic attacks there

Don't give up I think that you are doing well considering what happened to you.

Some of my advise about a panic attack. Take a xanax when symptoms start. Take slow and deep breaths. No one dies from a panic attack. You feel much worse than others see you. Most panic attacks are over in minutes. No reason to be ashamed its a medical condition same as heart disease or something you have not something that makes you a leper

There are millions who suffer from this you are not the only one.

• Founder

Well Top, like others say for many of us it never ends. For me personally it's all about management, manage my medications, manage my triggers, manage my anger. Manage, manage, manage ho-hum it's a hell of a way to lead a life, but it is a way to get improvements in your quality of life.

I have lost count of the number of times that something panicked me and I ran out of a appointment. I once had a panic attack at JFK I started rushing towards a bathroom to hide, tripped fell my daytimer flew across the floor and it was open I grabbed what I could ran to the bathroom locked myself in a stall with a wet cold paper towels and sat on the floor in the stall until it was time to take my flight. I didn't have any meds for anxiety at the time so I just sat there doing my breathing. It was rough, it kicked off an IBS attack so I spent the flight in the bathroom on the plane, lovely I thought.

I've left my house and got to the end of the block and just drove around the block and back home. It's a real bear. Don't be so hard on yourself you are not alone by a long shot.

I am applying for a PTSD service dog that can go everywhere with me, I am hoping that will help me get out more and also provide some love and perhaps even joy in my life. It's a long application process and a possible long wait to get one, but I am trying.

Fight with all your might sister. We are right beside you.

I am like J if I have to wait I get really antsy and please do not start a conversation with me because you will regret it! I had to be at the VAMC all day yesterday and had an OK day but almost lost it because my damn eye exam was taking what I thought was to long.

Patience is very hard for me to have and control!!

Remember we all have our things that set us off, the advise about the vet centers either group or one on one really helps me and the meds!