VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can My Pcp Abruptly Stop My Pain Management Meds?

Rate this topic

Like many others on hadit, I have been managing my chronic extreme pain through the use of opiates, non-narcotic medications, diet, lifestyle changes, counseling, and other methods for years. I have been doing it for more 40 years. If you have not been abusing the medications (and I have no reason to believe you have), then you are no more a drug addict that I am; and I am most certainly NOT a drug addict. I find it offensive in the extreme to be labeled a "drug addict" based solely on your obvious lack of knowledge!

There is a huge difference between "dope" and "medication." There is also a huge difference between "addiction" and "tolerance." I suggest you use your internet access to explore those differences. Using these words interchangeably is doing you, me, and tens of thousands of other veterans (and civilians) a horrible disservice! I, for one, resent the hell out of it.

Sorry if I offended, but let me add this, I'd be willing to bet that you've had at least 1 x-ray, MRI, Cat Scan or some other form of physical assessment diagnosing your pain. Well, I have not. And no, I'm not going to my appointment next week spewing off about lawsuits, malpractice, etc, that would be foolish. I'm going to let my doctor do most of the talking and answer his questions honestly. I'm going to explain that over the years I've built up tolerance and occassionally ran out of my meds, due to delays in mail, family theft or taking 1 or 2 extra during the course of my 30 day supply. So when I received the extra bottle, it was a relief and pleasent surprise to me knowing that I had a nice stash tucked away in case of an emergency.

I've prepared 3 separate folders for three possible scenarios - I'll just have to wait until my appointment with my PCP to see how it plays out. I am going to ask him one question though....."What exactly did my last xray or MRI show was wrong with my back, so I can tell my new doctor?" I'm sure he'll squirm in his seat, because you know what: There is no xray no MRI, nothing (except for 1 xray in Feb 2004).

Yes, I do believe the V.A. is liable for not seeking the root of my problems, a bone scan, mri, current up-to-date xray, they should've done something over the course of 7 years other than dispense pills. I'm happy your pain is managed, you obviously have a decent doctor and are dealing with a decent VA, but I'm not.

About 5 years ago my wife went her private dr complaining of constant neck pain, the FIRST thing he done was order an xray, next an MRI, he put her on opiates (hydrocodone 7.5/APAP) for 60 days. Meanwhile, he scheduled a surgery and put a titanium plate in her neck which practically cured her pain. She does not take any form of pain pills, maybe an occassional advil or alieve. Had she went to a VA hospital, they would've doped her up, raised her dosages to mask the pain, NOT treat the root of the pain. My pain can be cured with operations (grind off the bone spur in my upper neck for starters). They're simply too overwhelmed to fool with such nonsense, give 'em pills, move 'em out.

If you don't think you're an "addict" go flush all your opiates down the toilet - see how you feel in 5 days. My choice is NOT to be dependent upon a pill, my choice is to seek treatement for what's causing my pain, not mask it with a pill.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you think surgery will cure your pain you may be in for a rude awakening. You are going off half-cocked and don't know what you are talking about. You read a little on the internet and now you are an expert on pain and opiates. Get a second opinion on your pain management. We are trying to help you from making a mistake.

• 4 months later...

About 10 yrs. ago, during my treatment for Chronic Pain located in several areas, my PCP stated to me that I should have an extra, full prescription of my pain medicine on hand in case of any natural disasters - like the hurricanes we receive where I resided in FL., that way I wouldn't have to be w/o my meds. if such an event transpired.

• HadIt.com Elder

It is good to have a backup supply of your pain meds, but the VA will never agree to that nowdays. Every month I have a day or two where drugs are in transit. This means if I take drugs exactly as prescribed I run out of meds early. I get them by mail.

• 4 weeks later...

John is right but if you can I would go and speak to the patient advocate first. Sometimes they can fix problems like this on the spot. If that does not work go to the Administrator.

I do not have a pain contract with VA but I have a prescription for hydrocodone 60 for 30 days and xanax 120 for 30 days and guess what meds by mail screws up on delivery.

Yes you are in a bad situation for an abrupt withdrawal.

I wish you the best. When this is over and fixed I hope you should consider a complaint to the VAOIG. You have been treated poorly by the VA

Anyone who takes their meds that are prescribed are not addicts. You are dependent and the VA should recognize this.

John is right but if you can I would go and speak to the patient advocate first. Sometimes they can fix problems like this on the spot. If that does not work go to the Administrator.

I do not have a pain contract with VA but I have a prescription for hydrocodone 60 for 30 days and xanax 120 for 30 days and guess what meds by mail screws up on delivery.

Yes you are in a bad situation for an abrupt withdrawal.

I wish you the best. When this is over and fixed I hope you should consider a complaint to the VAOIG. You have been treated poorly by the VA

Anyone who takes their meds that are prescribed are not addicts. You are dependent and the VA should recognize this.

Have to say that the picture of your profile is one beautiful doggy! Is that yours? I breed Standard Poodles and show too when able.

This site has been encouraging to me. It hurts to be treated so callously by doctors. I hate it when someone puts in your record tested postive for opiates when DUH your prescribed opiates! That just irritates the pee pee out of me!:( ( Maybe THAT is why I lose my bladder from time to time not my back:P ( Sorry) If they want to test for drugs should they not test the level and say the patient is prescribed this and the test is consistent to what they are prescribed? Those little notes they put in files are not harmless. Someone commented about notes put in vets files. I get my record copy of it every so many months to keep up with my own file. And look through it as I have seen some tacky stuff put in it. Weird stuff too.Like commenting on private parts to food items! Good grief! I have never signed a pain contract. That sounds like a legal avoid liability thing to me. I do beg to differ that VA cannot be sued. Malpractice when a va doctor is sued in their individual capacity CAN be effective. Injunction requests depending on the situation also can help. But the vet has to make sure they fill out a Standard form 95 to avoid violation of FTCA ( Federal Tort Claim Act) which gives VA 6 months to respond. If they don"t it is a denial. Yet I do believe a request for injunctive relief can be filed outside the form 95.

I appreciate your comments about vets being poorly treated when docs act like those taking pain meds are dopers. Yikers. I waited for years to not take pain meds. Only when I could not bear it any more and my spine was in such bad shape with every single disc now either abutting the cord, herniated with stenosis, some just bulging, bone lesions, bone cysts, and of course they do nothing but give meds. BUt hey at least I cna walk! When I take the meds I have some active life. Not bedridden wishing I could just die already oh please God take me take me! SO in 2003 I started pain meds on my birthday of all days. Yippee! Pain free day for my birthday! Now I take 10/500 every six hours for pain as needed. Always have some left at end of month. Careful to wait out when pain comes and not time yet for a pill. Use heat tens unit and some ibuprofen.

So today sep 13 I get this letter saying the ONLY vets now that can have pain meds are ones who have surgery or acute injury and only for 4-6 weeks. They are transitioning to un pain med vets everywhere is what my doctor told me. Of course she called after I left a message that it was cruel to not even discuss such with patients just send a letter and say your cut off and oh by the way the last few years I gave you pain meds you did not need them. ( That is my , in essence she is saying...interpretation)