VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay

Rate this question

trailblazer

Question

I went to the Va Friday, March 25 for a visit with my PCP and when I went to get my travel pay I notice there were signs posted that said: Travel pay would be paid from your home to the nearest va facility which could treat your condition. I understand that and don't have a problem with it. However I live within 30 miles of one va clinic and 65 miles of another which I can't get an appointment with. So I went to the va in murfreesboro tn. which was specified on the letter trom the va. When I got my travel pay it was 30 bucks less than the last trip. Has the rules changed? Has anyone else encountered this?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to the Va Friday, March 25 for a visit with my PCP and when I went to get my travel pay I notice there were signs posted that said: Travel pay would be paid from your home to the nearest va facility which could treat your condition. I understand that and don't have a problem with it. However I live within 30 miles of one va clinic and 65 miles of another which I can't get an appointment with. So I went to the va in murfreesboro tn. which was specified on the letter trom the va. When I got my travel pay it was 30 bucks less than the last trip. Has the rules changed? Has anyone else encountered this?

x

x

x

BUMP!!

I just did a search on va.gov and am reading that travel pay via us treasury check-- is being sent tothe veteran's home/street address. I haven't been to the VAMC since NOV 2010, so can not readily attest. See below. ~Wings

Attention Veterans. Beginning Nov. 1, 2010, all Travel Pay will be mailed to your home and not paid through the travel window. If you are eligible for travel pay you will sign a VA Form 3542 upon checking out from your appointment. It is very important that you have a correct address on file. If there is no street address, your claim cannot be processed. http://www.orlando.va.gov/pressreleases/travelpay.asp

• HadIt.com Elder

To the best of my knowledge, they've always just paid to the nearest facility. If you got it to another facility, prior, consider yourself lucky. I know, at mine, they are cracking down as they went over the $2M mark, last year. I talked to the guy, in travel and he said they have some vets who come in just about every day, for an appointment of some kind. They've found a way to make it their full-time job, playing the system. At $0.415 per mile it can add up.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

What they used to do in Dallas would pay to nearest VA facility that could handle your appointmen. For example when I lived 100 miles from Dallass if it was a PCP appointment they paid 34 miles and if it was a lab or exam in Dallas they paid the whole boat. Now they have changed it always to pay less to they pay the miles to public transportation and than bus or train fare. Yes they want sick vets to drive to a Transportation link park their vehicle and commute in.

Bunch of cheap bastids and yes they take money from the first three trips for their own greedy purposes

Last month I had a quickie appt in dental to take out stitches and check on the progress of my implants. I got a travel voucher but when I turned it in they told me it was only for 1/2 way. something to do with how the clinic entered it in the computer. I just said ok and went on my way.

I had two appts this week and was paid the regular rate again!

• HadIt.com Elder

stillhere - If you had an appt it sounds like they screwed you. They paid you the drop in, unscheduled, rate. Unscheduled/drop-in appointments only get paid one way, not round trip. If they screwed up why should you get short changed. If it's worth your time I'd appeal it, as it's money out of your pocket or gas tank. Who knows, maybe the travel person or cashier pocketed the difference? jmo

Just an example but, about two yrs ago, the office manager, at the electric dept, where I used to live, forgot to sign a dept check, so it was returned, for a signature. She was off the day it arrived and one of the clerks didn't recognize the vendor and did some research. Seems the office manager had been embezzling money for over 10 yrs, to the tune of $1.2 million. If the manager hadn't been off that day she may never have been caught. She "was" well liked and respected in town. The key word is "was." She's retired now w/an electric dept pension, that they're trying to stop paying, and she'll probably be going to jail. Worst part is none of the annual audits caught it!!

pr

Last month I had a quickie appt in dental to take out stitches and check on the progress of my implants. I got a travel voucher but when I turned it in they told me it was only for 1/2 way. something to do with how the clinic entered it in the computer. I just said ok and went on my way.

I had two appts this week and was paid the regular rate again!

Edited by Philip Rogers

Geez... I think with the price of gas the way it is, it's going to be tough on a lot of vets who need to fill their tanks to get back home. Our VAMC serves vets who have to travel hundreds of miles round-trip.... Not everyone can wait for the check to come in the mail.

Also, I hope they mean that they'll be sending the checks to our mailing addresses, not our residences. We have a PO box because we've had mail stolen and our mailbox destroyed by snowplows too often...