VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Annual Income / Work Verification

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I have not worked since Dec 29th 2010. I filed for TDIU in January. I am using sick leave, so I am still "on the rolls" but am sure I will not work again. Everything seems to be rolling along with the TDIU claim. I had my C&P exam last week. (already at 70%PTSD, diabetes, and leg wound for a total of 80%). My employer is pushing people to retire and they just offered $20K to retire by May 31st. Since there is no way I will work again, I might as well quit using my sick leave and retire.

The incentive to leave is $10K in November of 2011 and $10K in Nov 2012. I was told it would be reported on line 7 on IRS 1040 "Wages and Salaries". That doesn't make sense to me..because I won't be an employee come May 31.. so how would I have wages, or a salary?

I feel that might be a problem when the VA looks at the year and asks if I "worked" or not. If the money from them is reported by them as "wages and salary" does that put me in trouble with the VA?

Is the form they use to check on any employment after receiving TDIU available for us to see? I wonder what the exact questions are that it asks of us or our employers.

I sure would appreciate your thoughts on my predicament and also regarding the availability of the form for us to review

Thank you

SpentWarrior

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I worked for the post office as well. I retired on disability 2001. I got SSD. You must be CSRS. You will have your retirement so when you get TDIU you will be OK. Since the retirement bonus you are getting is not actual earned income I don't think it will be a problem. Keep the paperwork that explains the source of the money. I was on administrative leave for about four months before I retired. The VA will use your actual retirement date on the Form 50.

Speaking of Work Verification, I sent VA Form 21-4192 Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits to my last two employers as part of my TDIU claim. One employer was my last full time employer back in 2008 when I was let go because of irratibility and the like (PTSD/Depression stuff), and the second was one who I worked for about 12 hours a week for about 8 months in 2009-10. Neither one of them has responded in any manner let alone returning the completed forms to me. My VSO says the VARO will mail the forms to them again and, once again, I expect them to be ignored.

Besides simply delaying a decision (thanks for nothing, guys), will the lack of these forms hurt my TDIU claim?

Edited by sleeper692

My last full-time employer took 18 months to send back form 21-4192 to the VA. I personally thought they never would. Seattle RO would not proceed with my claim even though I had other previous employers respond. I truly hope you have a better experience.

Speaking of Work Verification, I sent VA Form 21-4192 Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits to my last two employers as part of my TDIU claim. One employer was my last full time employer back in 2008 when I was let go because of irratibility and the like (PTSD/Depression stuff), and the second was one who I worked for about 12 hours a week for about 8 months in 2009-10. Neither one of them has responded in any manner let alone returning the completed forms to me. My VSO says the VARO will mail the forms to them again and, once again, I expect them to be ignored.

Besides simply delaying a decision (thanks for nothing, guys), will the lack of these forms hurt my TDIU claim?