VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Applying For Voc Rehab, While Working

Rate this question

AFKY22

Question

I just applied for Voc rehab, and want to know what to expect.

I work for the local VAMC, as a patient care provider, and fabricate devices that are often quite heavy. On a daily basis i lift heavy loads, pull materials, push metal rods and move heavy boxes. I on a daily basis lift patients, help them dress and work often for longer periods sitting which is uncomfortable on my back.

I am 10% sc for DDD-L spine. My back is limiting what i can do at work and i am 31. i am concerned about how much longer i can continue in the profession i work in (also what i did in the military), i have never had another job.

What can i expect from the meeting, and could i continue working in my current job until i complete the new training?

I would like to get into a field with less bending/lifting/pulling/ and manual activiites. I am considering teaching as an alternative.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am working and qualified. Just be truthful with the counselor. If you back bothers you that bad because of your current position tell them that. Tell them your afraid because of the risks. Just be honest and everything will work for you. If approved, just be ready for that crazy test you will have to take, it fried my brain. I don't want to tell you about it and ruin the moment...LOL

i just got the notice from the VA about my appointment, it said that i would need to show periods of unemployment due to my disability....but i have been employed until now by either the military or the local VAMC.

I am unable to perform certain tasks now that i used to be able to do and need to be able to do to continue working though. i am missing more work over the past two years due to my disablity though.

Any input is appreciated.

i just got the notice from the VA about my appointment, it said that i would need to show periods of unemployment due to my disability....but i have been employed until now by either the military or the local VAMC.

I am unable to perform certain tasks now that i used to be able to do and need to be able to do to continue working though. i am missing more work over the past two years due to my disablity though.

Any input is appreciated.

What do they evaluate when they are seeing if you are approved/not?

I am working and qualified. Just be truthful with the counselor. If you back bothers you that bad because of your current position tell them that. Tell them your afraid because of the risks. Just be honest and everything will work for you. If approved, just be ready for that crazy test you will have to take, it fried my brain. I don't want to tell you about it and ruin the moment...LOL

They want to know what is causing your problems at work. Don't worry about the unemployment thing. Just show up at he appointment, be polite and truthful. My counselor is a very nice person and I just told her the truth. It is a common sense thing. If you are SC'd for your back and/or neck and your work details that you lift a lot then they will see that. My opinion would be for you to bring with you you job description because you will have to provide that if you get accepted.

Thank you for the response, i really do appreciate it.

So at the meeting do they notify you there if you are approved, or what is the process? It is my lumbar spine that is limiting my current work.

Can you share what your disabilty/reason for needing re-training is? just curiour since this is all new to me. Will they let you attend class at night/via online, or only @ brick mortar type schooling.

They want to know what is causing your problems at work. Don't worry about the unemployment thing. Just show up at he appointment, be polite and truthful. My counselor is a very nice person and I just told her the truth. It is a common sense thing. If you are SC'd for your back and/or neck and your work details that you lift a lot then they will see that. My opinion would be for you to bring with you you job description because you will have to provide that if you get accepted.