VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Favorable?

Rate this question

silke

Question

Thanks for all yur help....

My husband was diagnosed by the air force with adjustment disorder with depressed mood and avoidant personality traits in 1993 after a sudden character change ( got arrested twice, art 15, violent behavior, problems at work)...He got out on a voluntary separation, honorably.

with 6 months of separation he became schizophrenic, he refused treatment and denied any problem...lack of insight and judgement is a typical symptom of schizophrenia, and with the mental health laws in place, he could not be forced into treatment or meds.

In 2006 i was able to stage a intervention and get him into treatment and on meds at a county clinic...in 2007 he started going to the va clinic and the doctor there diagnosed him with p.schizophrenia, he suggested we apply for ssd and va comp.

He got ssd within six months and last year we applied for va comp......we had a c&p exam last week...i went with him (his gaf is 35 and needs help to communicate)..pretty easy exam and at the end the doctor said she believes that his condition began in the service....essentially the adjustment do eventually became schizophrenia.

How much weight does the doctors opinion at the c&p exam hold for a favorable outcome???

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I hate to be the one, but be careful with the statement in the C&P about the "Family History" because the VA will do everything that they can to use that statement to deny you your benifits. They like to use family history as a reason and basis for a denial.

Good Luck and I hope it is a Slam Dunk.

I hate to be the one, but be careful with the statement in the C&P about the "Family History" because the VA will do everything that they can to use that statement to deny you your benifits. They like to use family history as a reason and basis for a denial.

Good Luck and I hope it is a Slam Dunk.

yes, I figured that might be an issue. It wasnt in his immediate family, he had an uncle with schizophrenia. His father was a 30 year army career man and we have my husbands army dependent medical records that go from birth to inception into the military, and there was no contact with any mental health providers. Im hoping that helps, as well as the examiners statement that although he had a predisposition for the disorder, it was the stress of military service that brought it on.

John: Im pretty sure it would be rated 100%, the report was 7 pages long and in there it mentioned he is unemployable. He failed the subtract 7 from 100's and memory tests and didnt know what month it is or where he was at. He doesnt have a chance at employment.

Thank you all for your responses...it brought tears to my eyes. A win would be a life changing event for us, SSD is hard to survive on.