VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received A Copy Of My C&p

Rate this question

2vetsin1home

Question

I had my C&P on March 17, at the VA hosp. I went in and requested a copy and they sent the request to Muskogee. Got my C&P copy in the mail today. Here is what it says in the Diagnosis:

Axis I: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depressions, reccurrent, moderate

Axis II: V71.09 no diagnosis

Axis III: See Medical records for complete list. Neck Paind, joint pain, lower legs.

Axis IV: Lack of Social Support

Axis V: Global Assessment of functioning would be a 55.

Discussion: I present with PTSD Symptoms including persistent re-experiencing of traumatic event, efforts to avoid stimuli associated with trauma, and symptoms of arousal. My PTSD symptoms have been present and documented through the VA since 2006. I also present with a hustory of depression that is moderate to severe in nature and emarged at the same time has post-trauma symptoms. My claimed stressors are related to fear of in-service hostile military or terrorist activity. I report significant impairment, most notably home life; I do report some decreases in work efficientt as evidenced by not being able to concentrate or get a long with co-workers. I state, for example, at home I am too tired and i have to let my husband take over and I isolate and stay away from my children.

I should mention my husband receives 50% disability for PTSD and his GAF was 55 as well and he went to a QTC location instead of a VA hospital.

Do you guys think this looks good for me? It has taken me since 2007 to even get them to give me a C&P so this to me looks good, but I don't know....

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Unfortunately VA fuzzy math is horrible. 30+10+10+10+10+10+10=60% combined and 50+10+10+10+10+10+10=70% combined. Yes this is crazy but this is the way that VA keeps veterans compensation payment low.

Are you sure you have 10% for a neck injury and 10% for cervical strain? Unfortunately you would still have the same combined rating, 10% ratings do not really help getting a higher increase that much.

Edited by pete992

I'm sorry I thought I typed 10% for tinitus as the last one. That makes no sense on the whole 60% if I got 30% more. and only 70% if I got 50% more espeically when I am already at 60% with a combined rating of 50%... Am I the only one that is taken aback a little? That doesn't seem quite legal to me.. the issues all all different so how can they be combined? my PTSD and my knee injuries didn't occur at the same time and they don't affect eachother so.. UGh the VA is always trying to screw us over. Makes no sense after all the crap we did and still do for them! This just makes me even more angry.

Ok new question though... If I was at 40% since 2007 and then they gave me 10% for tinitus later down the road which put me at 50% (where I am now) since my PTSD has been pending since 2007 do they back pay me to 2007 for being already rated at 50% or do they back pay me to 40% for all the way back to 2007 then change it to 50% back pay from October 2010 to now? Does my statement even make sense?? I think the VA has officially lost my mind now...

I do not want to confuse you or upset you but it really depends on the effective date and the percentage granted.

Example; VA could grant PTSD effective date of 2007 with 0% and then effective date of 2010 with 30% to 50% and only retro pay from 2010.

Or VA could grant PTSD effective date of 2007 with 30% to 50% and combine all your ratings and retro pay you from 2007. This should happen but at this point it is just a guess what VA will do.

The best way to increase your combined rating is to try to get some of your 10% ratings increased.

Does this help?

2vets,

The VA combines disability's to get an end percentage.

From what you have posted you currently have 6 @ 10 % ratings,

this combines to 46.85 % - which = compensation at the 50 % level.

If your PTSD should be evaluated at 50 % - you will end up with -

6 @ 10 % plus 1 @ 50 % , this combines to 73.42 % - which = compensation

at the 70 % level.

Sec. 4.25 Combined ratings table. Table I,

Combined Ratings Table, results from the consideration of the efficiency of the individual as affected first by the most disabling condition, then by the less disabling condition, then by other less disabling conditions, if any, in the order of severity. Thus, a person having a 60 percent disability is considered 40 percent efficient.

Proceeding from this 40 percent efficiency, the effect of a further 30 percent disability is to leave only 70 percent of the efficiency remaining after consideration of the first disability, or 28 percent efficiency altogether. The individual is thus 72 percent disabled, as shown in table I opposite 60 percent and under 30 percent.

(a) To use table I, the disabilities will first be arranged in the exact order of their severity, beginning with the greatest disability and then combined with use of table I as hereinafter indicated.

For example, if there are two disabilities, the degree of one disability will be read in the left column and the degree of the other in the top row, whichever is appropriate.

The figures appearing in the space where the column and row intersect will represent the combined value of the two.

This combined value will then be converted to the nearest number divisible by 10, and combined values ending in 5 will be adjusted upward.

Thus, with a 50 percent disability and a 30 percent disability, the combined value will be found to be 65 percent, but the 65 percent must be converted to 70 percent to represent the final degree of disability.

Similarly, with a disability of 40 percent, and another disability of 20 percent, the combined value is found to be 52 percent, but the 52 percent must be converted to the nearest degree divisible by 10, which is 50 percent.

If there are more than two disabilities, the disabilities will also be arranged in the exact order of their severity and the combined value for the first two will be found as previously described for two disabilities. The combined value, exactly as found in table I, will be combined with the degree of the third disability (in order of severity).

The combined value for the three disabilities will be found in the space where the column and row intersect, and if there are only three disabilities will be converted to the nearest degree divisible by 10, adjusting final 5's upward.

Thus, if there are three disabilities ratable at 60 percent, 40 percent, and 20 percent, respectively, the combined value for the first two will be found opposite 60 and under 40 and is 76 percent. This 76 will be combined with 20 and the combined value for the three is 81 percent. This combined value will be converted to the nearest degree divisible by 10 which is 80 percent. The same procedure will be employed when there are four or more disabilities.

(See table I).

(b) Except as otherwise provided in this schedule, the disabilities arising from a single disease entity, e.g., arthritis, multiple sclerosis, cerebrovascular accident, etc., are to be rated separately as are all other disabiling conditions, if any. All disabilities are then to be combined as described in paragraph (a) of this section.

The conversion to the nearest degree divisible by 10 will be done only once per rating decision, will follow the combining of all disabilities, and will be the last procedure in determining the combined degree of disability.