VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia Vs. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

http://fmcfsme.com/

Fibromyalgia (FM) makes you feel tired and causes muscle pain and "tender points." Tender points are places on the neck, shoulders, back, hips, arms or legs that hurt when touched. People with fibromyalgia may have other symptoms, such as:

• Widespread musculoskeletal pain
  • Headaches
  • Non restorative sleep
  • Fatigue
  • Psychological distress
  • Specific regions of localized tenderness
  • Morning stiffness
  • Tingling or numbness in hands and feet
  • Headaches, including migraines
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Problems with thinking and memory (called "fibro fog")
  • Painful menstrual periods and other pain syndromes

CFS stands for chronic fatigue syndrome. Chronic means persistent or long-term. ME stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis. Myalgic means 'muscle aches or pains'. Encephalomyelitis means inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. CFS/ME is a serious, disabling and chronic neurological illness.

Symptoms include:

• excessive fatigue
    • general pain
    • mental fogginess
    • often gastro-intestinal problems
    • fatigue following stressful activities
    • headaches
    • sore throat
    • sleep disorder
    • abnormal temperature
    • and others

I think is exactly the problem with the requirement for "incapacitating". I do not work, being on SSDI, VA 100% P&T, and my Navy Retirment, so when I go see my doctor for my worsening inflammatory arthritis (still undiagnosed) they do not recommend bed rest, or to stay home and not work, because I don't work.

My current PCP even noted "patient does not need any time off from work due to injuries because he does not work." Maybe anyone who is not working already because of their conditions should ask their doctors for a letter stating, if they were working they would have to take 4-6 weeks off to recover???

I thought I had read somewhere that the VA was going to get rid of the "Bed Rest" requirement because doctors do not really prescribe that type of treatment anymore, but I do not remember where, or what I read it in.

I would think nearly everyone would certainly agree with you getting rid of bedrest. The letter part would sound logical to us but not so much with VA. It might help adding something in the order of, the reasoning (rational) of why bedrest would not be appropriate. But then again, they might look at it as, this letter is not part of the requirements in their CFR, therefore, not having any credibility. I think their going to have to take it off the books entirely since the practice isn't used anymore/as much. I also disagree using ROM as the only rating tool, besides bedrest. Why couldn't it be rated using circumstantial evidence like mri's, xray's, etc. Level of pain. Everyone know's ROM's will give negative result's if your on pain killers during the exam. Because of that, the vet is almost forced to stop taking the meds a day or 2 prior of exam. VA knows this as well. and their putting us thru unnecessary hardships for no other reason but to satisfy the "much needed update" CFR. I for one, seriously believe their rating schedules where made for us to fail. In the eye's of the VA , Veterans are guilty until proven innocent, and all that time, I thought the Veterans fight ended on the battlefield. It really is a crying shame. Good, I finally got rid of that itch I had.

IMHO, a veteran should either keep a log of his or her conditions or make a list of their conditions and then discuss them with their doctor to get clear and accurate diagnosis.

The courts have upheld that your statements of your own need of staying in bed due to fatigue has to be used in your claim. See the case of Gutierrez v. Principi 2004 it has a lot of things you can use.

Your statement and your other half statement on how you have to stay in bed for days after doing anything counts as bed rest. I used it to get vets up to 100% with CFS. If you have a CFS or FM go CFS for FM tops out at 40%. If they want to say you have both than you will at best may get a 60/40 rating. If you have the real bad headaches, you need to fight that they should be rated under their own code. this can add up to 50% more to your claim.

I think is exactly the problem with the requirement for "incapacitating". I do not work, being on SSDI, VA 100% P&T, and my Navy Retirment, so when I go see my doctor for my worsening inflammatory arthritis (still undiagnosed) they do not recommend bed rest, or to stay home and not work, because I don't work.

My current PCP even noted "patient does not need any time off from work due to injuries because he does not work." Maybe anyone who is not working already because of their conditions should ask their doctors for a letter stating, if they were working they would have to take 4-6 weeks off to recover???

I thought I had read somewhere that the VA was going to get rid of the "Bed Rest" requirement because doctors do not really prescribe that type of treatment anymore, but I do not remember where, or what I read it in.

The courts have upheld that your statements of your own need of staying in bed due to fatigue has to be used in your claim. See the case of Gutierrez v. Principi 2004 it has a lot of things you can use.

Your statement and your other half statement on how you have to stay in bed for days after doing anything counts as bed rest. I used it to get vets up to 100% with CFS. If you have a CFS or FM go CFS for FM tops out at 40%. If they want to say you have both than you will at best may get a 60/40 rating. If you have the real bad headaches, you need to fight that they should be rated under their own code. this can add up to 50% more to your claim.