VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia Vs. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

http://fmcfsme.com/

Fibromyalgia (FM) makes you feel tired and causes muscle pain and "tender points." Tender points are places on the neck, shoulders, back, hips, arms or legs that hurt when touched. People with fibromyalgia may have other symptoms, such as:

• Widespread musculoskeletal pain
  • Headaches
  • Non restorative sleep
  • Fatigue
  • Psychological distress
  • Specific regions of localized tenderness
  • Morning stiffness
  • Tingling or numbness in hands and feet
  • Headaches, including migraines
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Problems with thinking and memory (called "fibro fog")
  • Painful menstrual periods and other pain syndromes

CFS stands for chronic fatigue syndrome. Chronic means persistent or long-term. ME stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis. Myalgic means 'muscle aches or pains'. Encephalomyelitis means inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. CFS/ME is a serious, disabling and chronic neurological illness.

Symptoms include:

• excessive fatigue
    • general pain
    • mental fogginess
    • often gastro-intestinal problems
    • fatigue following stressful activities
    • headaches
    • sore throat
    • sleep disorder
    • abnormal temperature
    • and others

Gulfwarvet said:

It is not as cut and dry as this. I work mostly GW vets cases and this is what makes up most of them. you do need a good doctor to do a CFS DX. CFS and FM have 70% of the same symptoms yet one max out at 40% and one at 100%.

You do not have to have IBS. for the 40% in the FM rating, the courts have rules on this.

The purpose of my post is to let veterans know that it is possible to get a claim for fibromyalgia easier than a claim for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome due to the fact the conditions are very similar. It is true that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome can be awarded up to 100% and Fibromyalgia only up to 40% but what most veterans do not know is that fibromyalgia symptoms can be awarded separately. Examples are: 5025 fibromyalgia 40%, 8100 migraines 50%, 9400-9440 depression 100%, 7319 IBS 30% all without pyramiding. Most doctors will not prescribe bed rest, they would state something like the veterans should go at his/her on pace. If the veterans is being treated for fibromyalgia, migraines, depression and IBS, they can be awarded service connection for them all. I posted several BVA decisions that awarded veterans multiple service connection for these conditions

5025 Fibromyalgia (fibrositis, primary fibromyalgia syndrome)

With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms:

meaning that these conditions can be so severe that they warrant a separate rating.

Edited by pete992

I currently have 40% for CFS and than seperate awards of 70% PTSD, 50% migraines and 10% hypertension. Is this unusual than? I often wondered which condition I truly have;fibromyalgia or chronic fatgue. I go through long periods of where the pain is my biggest "enemy" than I get a reprieve for awhile and have to deal with overwhelming fatigue for weeks at a time. Fun stuff.

I currently have a claim filed for TDIU. If that doesn't get awarded to me than I'm filing a NOD on the CFS. I strongly believe that the evidence they reviewed qualified me for 60%.

CFS and Fibromyalgia symptoms are so close and mimic each other to the point that it is almost impossible for doctor's to make a clear decision. Keep in mind to get an increase for CFS you must have increased incapacitating episodes/periods of at least six weeks out of a year and the doctor must prescribe bed rest for this time.

CFS and Fibromyalgia symptoms are so close and mimic each other to the point that it is almost impossible for doctor's to make a clear decision. Keep in mind to get an increase for CFS you must have increased incapacitating episodes/periods of at least six weeks out of a year and the doctor must prescribe bed rest for this time.

Thanks for replying to me. Even though my C&P exam & medical records stated the long durations of when i'm incapacitated, no Dr has ever "perscribed" me bed rest. I guess that's why I was awarded 40% vs 60%. Not to sound snide, but bed rest is what a person does with this condition whether a Dr perscribes it or not. That is such a ridiculous requirement by the VA.

Thanks for replying to me. Even though my C&P exam & medical records stated the long durations of when i'm incapacitated, no Dr has ever "perscribed" me bed rest. I guess that's why I was awarded 40% vs 60%. Not to sound snide, but bed rest is what a person does with this condition whether a Dr perscribes it or not. That is such a ridiculous requirement by the VA.

Your absolutely right! The same goes for back issues also. I've seen 3 ortho's for my back and each one said bed rest makes it worse. ha, I remember reading a BVA case that was denied because the judge didn't believe the vets Dr. had him on bed rest for such a long time. Whether or not not he was telling the truth, it was an ungodly amount of time tho.

ps; It's a given to snide, hell, the process makes us that way!

"Thanks for replying to me. Even though my C&P exam & medical records stated the long durations of when i'm incapacitated, no Dr has ever "perscribed" me bed rest. I guess that's why I was awarded 40% vs 60%. Not to sound snide, but bed rest is what a person does with this condition whether a Dr perscribes it or not. That is such a ridiculous requirement by the VA".

I have been treated for Fibromyalgia Symptoms for over twelve years and I have never been prescribed bed rest, my doctors actually want me to try to exercise but due to the pain, stomach sickness and fatigue it is not going to happen. I also told my doctors that my medication makes my fatigue even worst. It's very depressing and frustrating to the point where I really don't want to do anything but I force myself to do the things I need to do. My VA doctor told me to quit my job and my civilian doctor told me to go at my own pace but try not to overdo it.

Edited by pete992