VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Approved- Hoow Do I Get Into Group Therapy Sessions?

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I am writing this for Rockman.

I was not sure if this was the right forum or not. If not, you can place it where it does belong.

Rockman went to his his last one on one CPT therapy on 03/07/11 at our local CBOC with his mental health lady.

The mental health lady had him make an appointment for one month out. That way he could see how he was doing without coming to her.

His PTSD C& P was on 03/08/11. When he went back to see her, he asked if she could see in his file as what he should do next. He told her that the examiner did diagnose him with PTSD. She had no clue as to how to look it up in his file. Rockman asked her about group therapy and she did not know what to do. She said that she would find out and call him. He called her back several days later and she did not know anything and it was like don't call me, I will call you. It is like she is saying" thank you for your insurance money and you have a good day now and the heck with you. I am done period. "

She did say that the group that comes weekly near our house is more of a social gathering. He would not mind that, but right now knows that he needs more. He may be able to go to both.

What should he do now? Should he try and call his PCP @ the same VA CBOC or could that cause trouble? We do not want trouble, he just wants to attend group therapy.

It took him almost 40 years and now he wants to, it just seems that she could care less.

The longer he waits for group, he has more of a possibility of going in the reverse direction and undoing it all. If he does that, he may say- heck with it all.

At the end of his PTSD C&P C-File, it has this:

5. If possible state prognosis for improvement of psychiatric condition and impairment in functional status:

The prognosis for him is guarded.

I believe that this says it all.

Help-I feel for him and want to see him get the help he needs and deservers.

Mrs. Rockmsn

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As Kelly says you can check with the Vet Center and they should be able to place him. If you are talking about therapy for in house at a VAMC that has to be requested by your VA shrink.

good Luck either way both are good programs. I prefer the one on one rather than group because I am almost deaf!! Huh??

She did say that the group that comes weekly near our house is more of a social gathering. He would not mind that, but right now knows that he needs more. He may be able to go to both.

What should he do now? Should he try and call his PCP @ the same VA CBOC or could that cause trouble? We do not want trouble, he just wants to attend group therapy.

Mrs.Rockman,

You are right. I believe Rockman will enjoy a group session. My husband (now deceased) was in a local group. He did get one on one time with a psychiatrist from the same group. At the time, (over ten years ago)the VA contracted the psychiatrist/counselor for each session. We lived 30 miles from one VA hospital and 60 miles from another and probably sixty miles from the vet center at the time. I was amazed that for a long time my husband went to every meeting weekly. I think he only missed twice in what seemed like several years. Out of town once and sick the other time. So do try the Vet Center and also check at the VA clinic or hospital for any vet group that they may have available.

Mrs Rockman,

Good on ya for continuing to care for your man.

You might check with a vet center for their assistance. Others here will respond soon but it seems those vet centers have good resources.

I wish you and Rockman well! :smile:

Thanks- we will be checking on all resources.

Mrs. Rockman

As Kelly says you can check with the Vet Center and they should be able to place him. If you are talking about therapy for in house at a VAMC that has to be requested by your VA shrink.

good Luck either way both are good programs. I prefer the one on one rather than group because I am almost deaf!! Huh??

We will check. They wanted him initially in the inhouse program for 6 weeks. He could not do that with his job. He does like the one on one, but would also do group. I guess you would have to try group to see which one is better for you, then made your decision. I hope the local CBOC mental health will get out of her chair and see about gettting him to some sort of group. If he goes to group, will they still pay for travel? It is a 2 hour drive from the house.

Mrs. Rockman