VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression And Anxiety Claim

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I have read a lot of post pertaining to Depression, Anxiety and PTSD. I was in the military for 20yrs and recently retired, my MOS (Job) was 11B / 11M for the entire time. I entered the military Aug 1990 and retired Oct 2010, what I am about to say may shock a lot of you, even though I was an Infantry soldier / Leader for 20yrs, I never deployed to Combat. I know thta may seem hard for some to understand and a lot of you maybe thinking I somehow ducked out on combat. The truth is, I was Mis-diagnosed several times with having Cancer, Prostate Cancer to testical Cancer. I was airborne for several years and hurt my back and had several Back surgeries, also I underwent several surgeries pertaining to my testicals. I stated that to say this, I was granted 50% for depression / anxiety and 50% for my prostate. Many seem to think the only way you can file for depression is by having served in a combat zone however I am here to say that is not the case. Imagine being told you have cancer (several times) and your brother succombing to cancer at the age of 39 and your dad going to Chemo all at the same time.

Vet2010

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Many seem to think the only way you can file for depression is by having served in a combat zone

Vet2010

Vet2010,

I actually feel that very few would even consider the above.

Depression can be the result of many,many different things

and situations.

Did you perhaps mean to post something about PTSD and serving in a combat zone ?

I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety, However after I retired and started seeing a civilian doctor, I am now diagnosed with PTSD. Who is right?

• HadIt.com Elder

Vet2010 they may all be right. PTSD often comes with depression and other mood disorders. What you need is a VA doc to say PTSD.

I have read a lot of post pertaining to Depression, Anxiety and PTSD. I was in the military for 20yrs and recently retired, my MOS (Job) was 11B / 11M for the entire time. I entered the military Aug 1990 and retired Oct 2010, what I am about to say may shock a lot of you, even though I was an Infantry soldier / Leader for 20yrs, I never deployed to Combat. I know thta may seem hard for some to understand and a lot of you maybe thinking I somehow ducked out on combat. The truth is, I was Mis-diagnosed several times with having Cancer, Prostate Cancer to testical Cancer. I was airborne for several years and hurt my back and had several Back surgeries, also I underwent several surgeries pertaining to my testicals. I stated that to say this, I was granted 50% for depression / anxiety and 50% for my prostate. Many seem to think the only way you can file for depression is by having served in a combat zone however I am here to say that is not the case. Imagine being told you have cancer (several times) and your brother succombing to cancer at the age of 39 and your dad going to Chemo all at the same time.

Vet2010

my depression was just approved and i didn't see combat.

I also spent 10 yrs 11B before i commissioned 13A. Although I did spend 4 years in a combat zone, my depression is due to the injuries....not the combat. Of course you can have depression from other issues. BTW I know a gentleman drawing 100% PTSD from getting beat up in a barfight while on leave.