VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Benefits Timetable

I've been in the same boat (reconsideration-wise), and came up to the 1-year deadline to file the NOD for a reconsideration request that was ignored. Now, the claim is in the eternal appeal system according to the VA. No mention of it being able to be reconsidered, even though I sent in the proof that I had requested reconsideration almost a year and a half ago. Also, I still have an appeal waiting on a traveling board (2 years, 3 months and counting). I've also had to make a FOIA request to have my medical discharge converted to a military retirement by the SAF/PDBR. I don't know if that slowed things down at the VA or not, but the benefits of having the characterization of my separation changed will be well worth it, if I'm successful. I have a low docket number for this, but OF COURSE, the SAF/PDBR people are waiting on the VA to provide STRs (they've asked 3 times, and this is what the FOIA request was for). I had to go to the VAMC and get the records myself for those records, and suspect I

• HadIt.com Elder

If you want this system to change you are going to have to agitate, agitate, agitate as Fredrick Douglas once said about civil rights. Congress runs the VA and they are the ones responsible for its faults. I always wonder why vets are not marching on their local VARO with pitchforks. When we pull out of Afghanistan look to see cutbacks in the VA. You think it is bad now? After Vietnam only the dying would go to the VA for treatment. There are going to be cutbacks in the military and the VA is going to feel this down the line. Waiting a year for a decision is like a few days in VA time. I am just giving my opinion here. With an all volunteer military only .5 percent of the population actually serves these days. Vets are losing clout in the future. Get it while you can.

I've been in the same boat (reconsideration-wise), and came up to the 1-year deadline to file the NOD for a reconsideration request that was ignored. Now, the claim is in the eternal appeal system according to the VA. No mention of it being able to be reconsidered, even though I sent in the proof that I had requested reconsideration almost a year and a half ago. Also, I still have an appeal waiting on a traveling board (2 years, 3 months and counting). I've also had to make a FOIA request to have my medical discharge converted to a military retirement by the SAF/PDBR. I don't know if that slowed things down at the VA or not, but the benefits of having the characterization of my separation changed will be well worth it, if I'm successful. I have a low docket number for this, but OF COURSE, the SAF/PDBR people are waiting on the VA to provide STRs (they've asked 3 times, and this is what the FOIA request was for). I had to go to the VAMC and get the records myself for those records, and suspect I'll be making another trip to Atlanta for the STRs.

This truly is a part-time job for an employer that expects you to learn the job as you go, and zaps you for not meeting deadlines that only apply to you. I really don't like spending time complaining, but I look at this as sharing information for others in the same boat: you're not alone. Reading these forums has at least kept me aware and prepared for the long-haul.

Exactly when did you find out it was ignored and when was it sent to internal appeals?

If you want this system to change you are going to have to agitate, agitate, agitate as Fredrick Douglas once said about civil rights. Congress runs the VA and they are the ones responsible for its faults. I always wonder why vets are not marching on their local VARO with pitchforks. When we pull out of Afghanistan look to see cutbacks in the VA. You think it is bad now? After Vietnam only the dying would go to the VA for treatment. There are going to be cutbacks in the military and the VA is going to feel this down the line. Waiting a year for a decision is like a few days in VA time. I am just giving my opinion here. With an all volunteer military only .5 percent of the population actually serves these days. Vets are losing clout in the future. Get it while you can.

Way to go John999. Be careful if you are in a hurry Cooter. Yes, K went from 70% to 100% in 8 months. Then they advised we are both incompetent to handle "VA MONEY" and they have kept it, pending their appointing a fiduciary. So about 6 months later we got the letter today making an appt for home visit. So you might get money but it's not always over with the VA

Way to go John999. Be careful if you are in a hurry Cooter. Yes, K went from 70% to 100% in 8 months. Then they advised we are both incompetent to handle "VA MONEY" and they have kept it, pending their appointing a fiduciary. So about 6 months later we got the letter today making an appt for home visit. So you might get money but it's not always over with the VA

I'm sorry Sue, I didn't catch that about being in a hurry. I must of missed something. Which I do now and then.

• 3 weeks later...

John999, History repeats itself ! YOU are so right ! These great Veteran's of the gulf war 1, Gulf war 2, and Afghanistan war will probably will fell the pain and so sad. Where my pitchforks!