VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Benefits Timetable

Hi, After being Chapter 61 retired from the Army in 1984 I received retirement pay from the Army at 30% disability. In 2009 I was rated by the VA at 70%, service connected, and opted to receive VA retirement (being a higher amount and tax free it was an easy decision). In 2010 I was rated again at 80%, service connected, and awarded UI (Individual Unemployability). OK, so I received my award letter stating that these decisions were made on Dec. 9th, 2011 and that I was awarded back pay and monthly pay at 100%. Additionally, it states in the letter that my new pay level: "Your payment begins the first day of the month following your effective date." Upon calling the VA I was assured that everything would be handled by Jan. 1, 2012.

As of Feb 9, 2012 I have still not received any additional monthly pay or my back pay. I have talked to the VA many times and they tell me that it has not processed through the "Regional Office" into Finance. But, things have been kicked up to Supervisors to look into it.

Well, today I receive an email which states: "Thank you for your inquiry regarding your VA claim.

Your inquiry is important to us and we hope this information is helpful.

According to our records, your claim is presently in our authorization unit for final processing.

We have experienced a significant increase in our workload. You can expect to receive a decision letter from us within 90 days.

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience."

I have no idea why this is taking so long but I have been waiting now for 19 months and I could use some help. BTW does anyone know what the Authorization Unit is?

Thanks,

Drew Robbins

authorization unit is often referred as the signature phase. waiting for the claim to be signed by the VARO manager or other managers that may have reviewed your claim. Once signed, rating decision sent and monies released (if due). Used to be that the veteran would receive their retroactive pay within 10-14 days of the date stamped on your rating decision.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to complain about how long it takes to get a decision, we all know that the whole process is ....well yea that. I don't think that I am special or should get any special consideration. Filed my claim in March of 2007 and after the standard denials, a kangaroo travel board, 1 court order that was defied in writing, a second court order that after 8 months has yet to be acted upon, submitting hours/pages of medical research supporting my claim and rebutting the BVA's own unqualified medical opinions(their words). I have gotten a letter from a doctor at Duke University Medical school who is also an attending physician at the Durham VAMC that in his opinion my condition is "more then 80% likely to be connected to my service." After 6 years is there any way that this might move along quicker, or should I resign myself to the usual 6 to 8 months or more? Can my DAV rep do anything to push it along?

I don't want to complain about how long it takes to get a decision, we all know that the whole process is ....well yea that. I don't think that I am special or should get any special consideration. Filed my claim in March of 2007 and after the standard denials, a kangaroo travel board, 1 court order that was defied in writing, a second court order that after 8 months has yet to be acted upon, submitting hours/pages of medical research supporting my claim and rebutting the BVA's own unqualified medical opinions(their words). I have gotten a letter from a doctor at Duke University Medical school who is also an attending physician at the Durham VAMC that in his opinion my condition is "more then 80% likely to be connected to my service." After 6 years is there any way that this might move along quicker, or should I resign myself to the usual 6 to 8 months or more? Can my DAV rep do anything to push it along?

This is an old topic that has been changed several times

and no longer conveys the OP's issues and thoughts.

Please start a new topic in a forum it corresponds to

and re-post.

This topic is closed.

Thanks