VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependents Educational Assistance

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

Does a spouse qualify for Dependents' Educational Assistance if she has not been employed for 8 months??

I'm t&p.

Thanks,

Mike S.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike,

It doesnt matter whether or not she is employed, she can use it.......check with your state on what they offer also.

You asked if she was qualified---- did the VA send to her, or enclose in your 100% P & T award letter, the Chapter 35 Application?

If not she can access that form at the VA web site- VA form 22-5490-

Best to find a school that she knows is fully VA approved (most of they are) before starting the enrollment process.

The VA Education dept is separate from the regular claims section but they check her eligibility first. I attached a copy of my award letter right to my Chapter application.

Question # 25c asks for the name , address of the school she plans to attend-if she has decided on that yet,

and if she gives the name they will send her formal Certificate of Eligibility to them as well as to her-

Shouldn't take more then 3-4 weeks-if she is already enrolled in the school.

On Question 25 E- it is hard to estimate what the total cost of some prgrams are.

I put $8-10,000 - based on the credits I still needed -they have probably paid that much already-

Just multiply their course credit tuition projected cost by the credits she needs-

26 B- some schools offer a book grant-my school does via the Marine Corps Association so I put this info down in that area-

best to check with the school on that-I dont really know if the VA pays for books or not under DEA.But they ask this so maybe-

Jeff is right to check with your state and I also believe she could get a Pell Grant too-not reduced by VA Chap 35- but not sure on that-

The payment process- I think this is the standard way they do it-

I pay the tuition up front, contact my VA counselor at the school and CC it to my VAROs education dept.

I tell them what day I paid it, the course name, the length of course, and the professor's name and my student ID number.

Based on the length (we have accelerated courses at my school as well as regular ones)

the VA divides the tuition as to number of days-

My 8 week courses got 2 divided into VA Edu checks, my 3-4 months long ones got more, smaller checks-

they came at different times during the month, unlike comp.

hope this helps-

Make sure she asks for the pamphlet on # 28- it is online too at VA Education icon but lots to print out- so they should send it-

Edited by Berta