Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Wife Get Health Care And Another

Rate this question

flhtci2004

Question

Just got my packet today (Saturday) that rates me at 60%. I know I could wait until Monday and call the VA but

you guys are so knowledgeable I thought I'd throw it out there. Does wife of 34 years receive any health care

benefit from VA and also (just me thinking) if I were to die tomorrow would she receive any of my 60%.

Thank you in advance...

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Congrats on the award!

The Civilian Health and Medical Program from the VA (CHAMPVA) is contingent on the following requirements.

Also some VAMCs treat CHAMPVA patients. It is good to have CHAMPVA benefits in mind if your disability ever raises to the 100% or TDIU P & T level.

This is the only program from VA I have ever have a smooth ride with,.It is excellent.

100% or TDIU itself doesn't generate CHAMPVA nor does any Section 1151 award. The P & T status is required for 100% or TDIU awards.

"Who is eligible for CHAMPVA?

To be eligible for CHAMPVA, the beneficiary cannot be eligible for TRICARE. CHAMPVA provides coverage to the spouse or widow(er) and to the children of a veteran who:

is rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or

was rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected condition at the time of death, or

died of a service-connected disability, or

died on active duty and the dependents are not otherwise eligible for DoD TRICARE benefits.

Effective October 1, 2001, CHAMPVA benefits were extended to age 65 and older. To be eligible, you must also meet the following conditions:

if the beneficiary was 65 or older prior to June 5, 2001, and was otherwise eligible for CHAMPVA, and was entitled to Medicare Part A coverage, then the beneficiary will be eligible for CHAMPVA without having to have Medicare Part B coverage.

if the beneficiary turned 65 before June 5, 2001, and has Medicare Parts A and B, the beneficiary must keep both Parts to be eligible.

if the beneficiary turn age 65 on or after June 5, 2001, the beneficiary must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B to be eligible."

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/faqs.asp

"if I were to die tomorrow would she receive any of my 60%."

No.

If you have a claim pending at death, she could substitute herself as the claimant and if the claim is awarded she would be eligible for any accrued benefits that resulted from your claim.

If your SC at 60% or any % at all contributed materially to your death or directly caused your death, then she would receive DIC.

The DIC benefit should be applied for within the first year after death as,if the claim is also for accrued benefits- VA will not pay accrued if they receive the DIC application after the first year after death has passed -unless it involves an Agent Orange presumptive and is a Nehmer class action claim.

There is more DIC info in the DIC forum here.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.