VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost A Good Friend On His 64Th B'day

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Need a little help. A good friend died, on Friday, 5/6/11. He served w/101st Airborne(but he was a leg/non-airborne) 3/187 "Rakkasans," and was at Hamburger Hill. I'm fairly sure he was over 10yrs at 100%. Two days after he died the VA awarded him 10% for IHD, back to 5/2010, but no change in comp payment. We have the service and burial of his ashes, tomorrow. Cause of death was pneumonia, secondary to COPD. No autopsy done. COPD wasn't SC but has over 10yrs at 100%. Unfortunately no will or trust - people please do these things now!!! It's easier on the family if they know what you want. And, BTW, we "are" going to die, in case you have any doubts.

I need to help his wife and need to verify what I need to do.

1.) Apply for his final check.

2.) Appeal his IHD for a higher rating and EED. I believe he's a Nehmer claim, as he didn't file. The VA did it themselves.

3.) File a claim for her for 2yrs of whatever he may have had coming, if we can win the EED and increased percentage.

4.) Apply for his VA life ins benefit.

5.) Apply for DIC.

6.) Apply for funeral and burial benefit. Funeral home says maybe $600 max. I say roughly $2300 is due. ???

7.) Request a complete copy of his c-file and medical records.

8.) Anything I forgot???

Thanks to any who respond! He's at peace now and his wife is comfortable with her faith. She knows what happens, happens for the best, even tho we may not agree at the time.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A little update. His spouse received his $10k VA life ins payment within 30 days of his death and didn't even have to apply for it. They sent a her checkbook where she could take it all, or as little as she needed. I told her to deposit it all in her own acct. Last wk she received a call from a PA VA office requesting their marriage date and his previous divorce date. That really irritates me cuz we all know they have it in his c-file, already. Just more VA laziness and BS. Anyway, they told her they are working on direct SC and she should hear something within 2 wks, regarding a decision on the over 10 yr rule. Seems like it's moving fast but I'm always suspect.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

In Florida you are put in metal container so if you just get a pine box it is same/same as expensive coffin. I can wait to be resurrected in a cheap coffin just as easy as expensive one even if I have to wait 1 billion years. "I don't care where you bury me when I die. You can bury me down by the highway, so my old evil spirit can catch a greyhound bus and ride?"....Robert Johnson.

Forgive me if I'm out of line here, but just 2 days ago at a Dr. office, I was reading a health care mag. and ran across something very interesting about caskets. A person could actually purchase by order a casket thru WalMart, or Costco! The article went on to say their caskets are just as nice and a lot cheaper than the funeral home. Also, you could rent a casket and use the paper/carboard liner to be buried in. Again, forgive me if I'm out of line, just thought this would be something to pass along.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just an update. She received the VA $10k insurance, within a month and never had to apply for it. Friday, she received his final VA check and her first DIC check of $1,400.00, less than 60 days after his death! He was rated TDIU over 10yrs and died of pneumonia, secondary to NSC COPD. I am amazed, as I was prepared for yrs of battle, for her. Now he can rest in peace. I love ya, John!

pr

Need a little help. A good friend died, on Friday, 5/6/11. He served w/101st Airborne(but he was a leg/non-airborne) 3/187 "Rakkasans," and was at Hamburger Hill. I'm fairly sure he was over 10yrs at 100%. Two days after he died the VA awarded him 10% for IHD, back to 5/2010, but no change in comp payment. We have the service and burial of his ashes, tomorrow. Cause of death was pneumonia, secondary to COPD. No autopsy done. COPD wasn't SC but has over 10yrs at 100%. Unfortunately no will or trust - people please do these things now!!! It's easier on the family if they know what you want. And, BTW, we "are" going to die, in case you have any doubts.

I need to help his wife and need to verify what I need to do.

1.) Apply for his final check.

2.) Appeal his IHD for a higher rating and EED. I believe he's a Nehmer claim, as he didn't file. The VA did it themselves.

3.) File a claim for her for 2yrs of whatever he may have had coming, if we can win the EED and increased percentage.

4.) Apply for his VA life ins benefit.

5.) Apply for DIC.

6.) Apply for funeral and burial benefit. Funeral home says maybe $600 max. I say roughly $2300 is due. ???

7.) Request a complete copy of his c-file and medical records.

8.) Anything I forgot???

Thanks to any who respond! He's at peace now and his wife is comfortable with her faith. She knows what happens, happens for the best, even tho we may not agree at the time.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

Once the 10 years is up no matter what the cause of death the surviving spouse shoul get their next check on time. Just my opinion but that said 60 days is wonderful news.

Just a question that I am not sure of does the widow get the Veterans last check since we are paid the next month and would the check for 1400 represent what enhanced DIC is now? The reason I ask is Mrs Pete wants to know.

My condolences pr. and yes, may John rest in peace. This piece of info may not sound like much, but it will in days to come. when my father-inlaw passed and when arrangements for the funeral were finished (at least they thought) they assumed the Honor Guard was going to furnish the Flag. Afew days before the burial is when they found out they either had to order one or buy one. Not a good situation to be in. I'm thinking you already knew this pr, but thought it wouldn't hurt to say it anyway.