VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd, Bipolar And Depression

Rate this question

kevin3331

Question

Ok filled for ptsd, bipolar and depression .. I have been in and out of the mental health ward for a attempted suicied and sucidal thoughts

I wish i started reading these forums before i submitted my paper work. my claim is in the discovery phase still and last week i got

more paper work i had to fill out. I have little hope that i will get approved. I have heard horror stories that the va

loves to not approve the first time out.

guess my question is . is bipolar cause by ptsd and if approve will i get a rating of the three grouped together or will

they seperate them .ie rating for ptsd, a rating for bipolar. a rating for depression

Also alittle help on how to deal with the doctors for mental health care.. I am hanging on by a thread.

i told this to my doc. and said i needed stronger antidepresants or raise the dosage up some

He said my dosage was maxed out.. anymore of a dosage and i would be non funtional (what does that mean)

I am non functional now.. i can't work ..i have no friends .. I don't go to family gatherings like xmas and such

i am on Depacoat for bipolar, mirtazipine for depression, abilify for depression and bipolar.. vistral for axncity which does not work

trazadone for sleep disorder.. can't sleep with out it and i usually only get a couple hours of sleep a night out of it.

They just don't understand. I am at my end . I will probly end up back in the va again for this in the near future.

sorry for whining... I just don't know how to speak with these doctors.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The VA only rates one Mental Health disability.

Every mential health disability needs a service nexus.

That can be proven directly from your SMRs, sometimes it also takes your 201 personnel file and it takes a current diagnosis with medical evidence that supports the nexus.

The nw criteria for PTSD claims is in our PTSD forum.

What is your specific mental health diagnosis?

"guess my question is . is bipolar cause by ptsd"

I am not a doctor but I have never seen any medical info that PTSD causes bi-polar.

I helped a vet prove bi polar as service connected.

We used his Personnel file and not his SMRs - and he then got a favorable opinion from his VA shrink of the nexus.

The research we did helped considerably on that. But it took 12 years for him to succeed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you get a regular honorable discharge or a medical discharge for mental health issue? They will rate you on the most serious mental condition if you can show a nexus. Were you treated for mental illness in the service?

I just got a regular honorable discharge. Have been fighting depression since i got out of the marines but never started going to doctors till the last 4 years now.

both my doctors say i have ptsd and bipolar and depression and OCD

I like an idiot I thoght for years this was just me being weak.. so i sucked it up till 2007 i tried to commit suicied . that is when i started getting help from the VA

i don't know what you mean by a nexus.. i am not up to date on the terms.. the VA seems to have alot of them.

I don't know my chances for disability .. probly will not get it.. but i am hoping.. have not been able to hold a job since all this began.. now. i just gave up on it.

I know that is wrong but i have problems going to the grocery store let alone working with others.

I am still sorting though all this info that is on this site.. Just being able to talk about things gives me hope.. even though i know there is a long road ahead.

Thanks in advance to all who will listen and help me..