VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diseases Linked To High Cholesterol

Rate this topic

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You know there is something called hypercholesterolism. My brother has it and I think my father had it. My brother had a total cholesteral level of well over 350 when he was just a young man. He was not fat. He ate a normal diet. He did start taking cholesteral drugs many years ago, but he has to fight very hard to keep it normal. I have a low cholesteral level which got higher as I got older and fatter. I take crestor and my total is about 160. I think the hypercholesterolism killed my father at a very young age. He was a WWII vet and smoked, of course. Deadly combination!

GOOD INFO!

The VA was aware of my husband as having hyperlidemia.

I only found this out when a VA doctor mentioned this diagnosis in an old SOC after his death.There is no diagnosis of hyperlipedimia in the med recs.VCA does not SC hyperlipedimia as it is a symptom and not a disabily (unless left untreated and causes further disability.

I had no idea what this word even meant when it appeared in the SOC.

In studying what all the blood chem work results meant in 6 years of my husband's med recs (I had to use many medical texts)

I finally discovered this hyperlipedimia was direct result of his cholestrol and tryglyceride readings which were so high that VA doctors put check marks on them as well as his glucose but did nothing at all to advise the veteran or me and/or treat this condition.

This was part of the reason he died from IHD with strokes contributing.

This article is info all should heed.

And it pays to understand your blood work.

Edited by Berta