VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Very Large Retro!

Rate this topic

Vike17

• HadIt.com Elder

I use to post pretty regularly on the old message board, and maybe some of the older posters may remember this claim I was helping with.

In 2002 I helped a veteran put a claim in for HNP L5/S1 and shortening of lower extremities secondary to HNPand Individual Uneployability (IU). The veteran had two periods of service. The first was from 1977 to 1980, which was terminated with an Honorable discharge. He then reenlisted in 1980 and served until early 1981 when he was discharged with an OTH due to a minor offense. In Jan. 2004 the VA accidently applied a bar to benefits because of the OTH discharge. This screw up wasn't VA's fault, it was NRPC's. They sent VA paperwork stating the veteran never had an Honorable discharge! His claim sat in the appeals teams until Nov. of 2005 when the DRO called him and apologized for the screw-up and lifted the bar. Yesterday we called the RO to check the status of his claim and was told his claim had been decided. He was awarded 100% IU all the way back to Oct. 2002 and his claim was just waiting for a third signature due to the large retro involved!!!!!

After doing some calculations, he will be receiving over $105,000.00 retro!!!!

Vike 17

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

That is AWESOME!! Good on you for helping!!

If you don't mind, I would like to email you regarding the regulations/laws surrounding statutory bars . . . I have a similiar incident to share, only this was a VA decision annd not NRPC.

Very cool win for this veteran ;-)

~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Vike

If we vets got interest on retro there would be less of it. Thanks for helping. If you win your claim you are just getting even. The accepted idea that claims are won or lost shows it is an adversarial system.