VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety/panic Attacks

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I need some feedback folks! First of all I have a long history of anxiety/panic attacks. Can't really tell the differances in the two because, for one thing, they both have the same symptoms in many way's. In the other, when your body submits to these attack's you don't give a sh*t which one it is! ha. I ended up at the emergancy room 2 weeks ago thinking I was having a heart attack. Went thru EKG, Xrays, blood test, etc. They kept me there overnight to check my enzines every 6 hours. Everything turned out negative and sent home. My wife suggested I might of had a severe panic attack. All the attacks I've had in the past wasn't nearly as bad as this one. If it wasn't for the wicked pain in the left side of chest and down the entire left arm I would'nt have gone. My first question is; Can a panic attack cause your heart to have angina episodes? Secondly, when I was at the VA hosp. 2 years ago talking to a councelor about a pre-op, I started to have some sort of an attack coming on and ended up in the emergency room there. The Dr. wrote down it was possibly a reaction to a new med I was on (blood pressure booster). I've always wondered if it was another attack. Would that help as extra evidence for a claim?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Get a shrink to say that your panic attacks are symptom of some accepted service connected condition.

To be totaly honest I started having them shortly after the jump incident. But I never realized that it could of brought it on. Actually, I never thought about it untill I started reading what the symptoms and effects where for Vets with PTSD. Then I thought, wait a minute, that one jump could have effected me mentally. Who knows. When I was a young man I used to think if a person has/had a mental problem, then they must of been born with it. I never realized what a horrible experiance could actually effect someones mind. Wow, what a wakeup call that was for me! Well anyway John, thanks for the comeback and I am scheduled to see a shrink this week sometime, just waiting for the referal to call me. So I difinately will bring it up.

jachay

Not knowing your husband's militery background is their a possibility he can resubmit his PTSD? Anything at all he could relate it to in service. etc, combat, accident, witnessing somebody else getting hurt or killed, maybe a family member dying. PTSD is some heavy crap to deal with. You may have to wait some years to get it approved/disaproved, but you'll never gain anywhere if you stop trying. jmo. Oh by the way, do you pronounce your name as jackie? I never seen it written that way is why I am asking.

Thank you for your suggestion. My husband is satisfied that his night terrors, PA, and strange behavior was caused by PTSD and is ok with it now. He had a difficult time before he knew what was wrong. I doubt that he will consider filing a claim again.

No, jachay is a combination of my first and middle names.....thus, no capital letter....

+++++++++++++++++++

jachay

Not knowing your husband's militery background is their a possibility he can resubmit his PTSD? Anything at all he could relate it to in service. etc, combat, accident, witnessing somebody else getting hurt or killed, maybe a family member dying. PTSD is some heavy crap to deal with. You may have to wait some years to get it approved/disaproved, but you'll never gain anywhere if you stop trying. jmo. Oh by the way, do you pronounce your name as jackie? I never seen it written that way is why I am asking.

YES, a panic or anxiety attack can mimic a heart attack and angina, in addition it mimics what is called a death seizure, it is as if you cannot move a Muscle for 20 minutes or so. I take Nitro for Angina, I take ALPRAZOLAM 500MCG 1 tablet when I go to sleep. The best is you feel an attack coming on, take 1 Clonazepam / 2mg/ by rivotril. I take 2 of these 2 sleep and the other mentioned. Now, side effects, when you first wake up, your brain is not working, it is still asleep, take a strong cup of coffee before you try to do anything. If you need to pee, sit on the toilet do not stand, get up slowly as it will effect your balance till the coffee is in your system. Do not drive for at least 60 minutes after the coffee.

I no longer drive, but when I drove that seemed to work. I am 62 now and just cant drive any more. This combination of drugs will allow me to only sleep 3.5 hours, and then I will nod off during the day. If you have a job, this wont work for you.

I live in the Philippines.

ThatDoughBoy

My husband had panic attacks for years and thought it was another heart attack coming. We spent alot of time in ER's and even ICU....then a doctor at the hunting camp told him he was having a panic attack and his PC physician concurred and started medication.

He prevents the PAs with the meds x3 and is so much better now. It was rough on him for a long time.

If you think your anxiety is SC, you should file a claim.

He rarely has PAs now but takes meds 3Xs a day to prevent them.

What the h*ll, I never heard of death seizures! Are you pulling my leg RonP! That definately doesn't sound good.ha. Do you get them often? Is that a symptom of panic attacks or something by itself? What causes the onset? I have to admit, that one took me by surprise!

What the h*ll, I never heard of death seizures! Are you pulling my leg RonP! That definately doesn't sound good.ha. Do you get them often? Is that a symptom of panic attacks or something by itself? What causes the onset? I have to admit, that one took me by surprise!

I know that if drank too much caffeine whether it be coffee or soft drinks sometimes it would cause me to have an onset of anxiety.

68mustang