VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On How To Handle Lack Of Response From Ro

Rate this question

marathonjon

Question

I'm in a Catch-22 situation and wonder if anyone has advice on the next step I should take. I filed an appeal to the VA's decision on my disability claim, choosing to go the DRO route. As a veteran living overseas, my case is handled by the Pittsburgh RO. After almost 2 years, I finally got a letter from them stating I needed to get another C&P exam. I made arrangements to get the exam at the air base where I receive my medical treatment, but the catch is that they will do the exam only if they receive the request directly from the VARO. I've sent 5 requests to the RO either by fax or through the IRIS system. They always respond that they'll give my request to the appeal team. Yesterday I got a copy of the original letter stating I needed another C&P exam, but the air base hospital still hasn't received it.

I've searched on this forum for what to do when the RO does not respond to requests and found one post where someone emailed someone in Washington DC and another where someone wrote their Congressional rep, but after 20 years in the military, I have to believe there's a chain of command I can follow. I've searched the VA website, and of course there's nothing about what to do when you have a complaint. Their IG works mostly fraud, waste, and abuse issues. It appears that each RO falls under an area office. Would it do any good to write to them? Or should I write directly to the VBA office in DC? Would appreciate any tips that have worked for others on this issue.

BTW, I don't currently have a VSO rep. I used one back in Texas but he wasn't very helpful. I've lived here in Japan only a short while and haven't found another rep yet.

Thanks!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

On another thread it was mentioned that House of Veterans Affairs is holding Hearings on poor performing RO's. You could always email those guys they love to call the VA out on the carpet.

I actually wrote the Chairman and ranking Democratic member of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs about how difficult it was to find the VA chain of command or who to complain to. I will send them another email about the quality of service received from my RO.

I've made a little progress since my last post. I found another VSO rep, and he gave me some good advice. Since I live overseas, all correspondence regarding C&P exams is supposed to go through the US Embassy. I moved from one country to another and notified the VA, but they failed to notify my new embassy. They assure me that they have done so, so I will check with the embassy next week.

Thanks again for all your advice!