VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Vfw?

Rate this question

rydastar

Question

i am in middle of claim process for ptsd, /AO and heart stent. etc..

today i got this letter in mail from VFW, in it was something about being 10% dis. rating from v.a. effective 1/27/10

What it this? it has my claim # so i am thinking it is legit. however i have a few questions about the ptsd, AO part,,,

ant thoughts? it eluded to being eligible for medical care at v.a. med. center, and to contact them for more info...

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

JMO. I would call the VFW rep. office that sent you the letter and ask if they have a POA signed by you, if not I would ask how they got your information, name, address, claim #, etc. Doesn't make sense. Do you have a buddy that's a member of VFW?

Got a letter from VA today explaining my 10% award for IHD and how they got determination, in a nut shell, they said they are obligated to give me this award because its law, as i was in Mekong Delta. They also answered my other question as to when and if i will get a ptsd appointment. They will contact me when this is made. So as you can imagine i pleased to get some award for my ihd, however i am not pleased with 10%, as i feel i should not have this heart problem if it was not for the fact that they used AO all over the Delta and this stuff was in the rivers where we bathed,,,etc.. i will probably re-file for this again.

My question if it can be answered is, Has anyone had a 10% rating like mine,,IHD, and also have a claim for ptsd and got a more favorable rating ? keeping in mind i also am 100% disabled with SSDI. thanks and i really appreciate your help and answers..later ryd..

JMO. I would call the VFW rep. office that sent you the letter and ask if they have a POA signed by you, if not I would ask how they got your information, name, address, claim #, etc. Doesn't make sense. Do you have a buddy that's a member of VFW?

What is the SSDI for?

Have you compared the 10% to the actual IHD criteria (in our AO forum here)?

If it is wrong you can appeal this rating.

The PTSD claim sounds like it is still pending and that will boost your overall SC rating if they award the PTSD but that is a separate claim from the IHD.

"as to when and if i will get a ptsd appointment." "if" ? I don't get that part.

RYd

You probably dont want to "refile this again". Instead, you file a NOD disputing the percentage unless your condition got worse since the effective date of the decision. The reason you file a NOD and not "refile again" is because it can cost you money on the effective date, as they will probably say you are asking for an "increase" in rating.

I agree with Berta, of course, that you can get additional compensation for PTSD.

What Berta was suggesting is that if Social Security rated you disabled for conditions you are service connected for, then you should and could use that to get a higher rating, as it will be hard for the VA to say you only have 10 percent if social security says its 100 percent. With social security they use the word "severe". The condition has to be "severe" to warrant disability.

While the VA does NOT have to do what SSD does, you can still use that to your advantage as evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

I never heard of a 10% rating for IHD. Did you have a heart attack? Did you get a stent? I think the VA is getting creative with the ratings. If you have any significant heart problems it is usually 60% or 100%. I went from 0% to 60% on appeal. Did you ever get a C&P exam for heart disease?

006 Myocardial infarction: During and for three months following myocardial infarction, 100 documented by laboratory tests............................. Thereafter: With history of documented myocardial infarction, resulting in: Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or 100 less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent........................... More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in 60 the past year, or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent.............. Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs 30 results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray................ Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs 10 results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous medication required..

The ratings failed to show up on this paste but the last rating is 10% 7 to 10 mets or continuous medication

Edited by captain soggy