VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Ch.35 Benefits Extension

Rate this question

crawsfire

Question

It has been mentioned here that it is possible (and even common) that an extension is granted for recipients of CH.35 benefits. Does this mean that an extension is granted to the 45 month cap (you can get paid for more than 45 months of benefits) or is this just an extension to the time limit imposed on you to use the 45 months of benefits? Thanks.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

She knew the rules at the beginning and if she didn't that's a different matter. If I recall correctly, 10 yr expiration date, with maximum of 45 months paid benefit. That sure sounds fair to me. Not to be a hard a** but if she doesn't use it, in time, who's fault is that??? It sure isn't the VA's fault! I hope she can get the extension but I seriously doubt it. If you can prove me wrong I'd love to hear it! Now, if for any medical or hardship reason, she was unable to attend school she could probably get an extension, but I believe that would be the only reasons for an extension. The deadline is 10 yrs, whether full-time, half-time or quarter-time. jmo

pr

I agree pr... Also, sometimes, right after High School, the vet's dependent children jump right in to CH#35 and then drop out for a while, and get hit with a month or three of "overpayment"... That adds salt to a wound, especially after all the Vet has gone through to get the benefit for the kid.

Edited by Commander Bob

I agree pr... Also, sometimes, right after High School, the vet's dependent children jump right in to CH#35 and then drop out for a while, and get hit with a month or three of "overpayment"... That adds salt to a wound, especially after all the Vet has gone through to get the benefit for the kid.

For those that didn't actually read the thread, or had trouble understanding it: My spouse was erroneously denied benefits several times and by the time they did notify her that she was eligible she had two weeks before the benefits expired. That is the reason we are trying to get an extension.

They also reduced her 45 months of eligibility by one month for each month she went to school even when she went 1/2 time. I am trying to determine if this is par for CH.35 recipients. If anybody has any experience or can point me to the regs concerning this it would be great. thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

For those that didn't actually read the thread, or had trouble understanding it:

I must admit your story unfolded over several posts through out this thread, I thought your questions were already answered. Sorry, I was using the remainder of this thread to comment on other Chapter 35 issues raised here, and for any future vets / families with new Chapter 35 benefit issues, who may come across this.

I hope you find the answers you are seeking.

Best wishes for a successful outcome,

CB

For those that didn't actually read the thread, or had trouble understanding it: My spouse was erroneously denied benefits several times and by the time they did notify her that she was eligible she had two weeks before the benefits expired. That is the reason we are trying to get an extension.

They also reduced her 45 months of eligibility by one month for each month she went to school even when she went 1/2 time. I am trying to determine if this is par for CH.35 recipients. If anybody has any experience or can point me to the regs concerning this it would be great. thanks.

Hi Craw, Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I hope by now that you have reached a positive soilution, if not.........

The GI BIll Number is the same number that I use to access information about my education benefits as a spouse of a 100% disabled veteran. If they have debited you full time even when you spouse was attending half-time then you can and should appeal this. When I have a full time semester I get debited one month per month of study and get paid $957 a month. When I attend less than that I get debited 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 months, and get paid accordingly. It is my understanding that when you wife was attending college she was not recieving the chapter 35 benefits and therefore there was no certification to the VA. I suggest that perhaps you get your wifes college to certify her hours to the VA by semester. I am not sure what the process would be here. Without certification the VA has no proof that she was not in full time attendence.