VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prosthetic Implants

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi all,

Below is a list of Prosthetic Implants and their ratings. Further down on the list it discusses valve implants and other devices. There is no data on either the back, spine or prosthetic pages concerning neck fusion and their implants. Does anyone have the answer to this or know someone that might have the specific answer I am looking for?

The BVA granted my husband service connection for residuals of a cervical disc herniation requiring fusion and discectomy as secondary to his sc left knee tibia fracture. This all resulted from a fall he had injuring his neck. He fell on his right side on his neck, requirng surgery of an anterior cervical discectomy at C3-C4 with Bengal cages. His left knee locked on him causing him to fall. He not only has Bengal cages, but has wires, screws and plating in his neck.

Would this be considered a prosthetic implant. If so at what rating? If not why not?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Prosthetic Implants

Rating

Major Minor

5051 Shoulder replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of the shoulder joint:

For 1 year following implantation of prosthesis 100 100

With chronic residuals consisting of severe, painful motion or weakness in the affected extremity 60 50

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion, rate by analogy to diagnostic codes 5200 and 5203.

Minimum rating 30 20

5052 Elbow replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of the elbow joint:

With chronic residuals consisting of severe painful motion or weakness in the affected extremity 50 40

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion rate by analogy to diagnostic codes 5205 through 5208.

Minimum evaluation 30 20

5053 Wrist replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of wrist joint:

With chronic residuals consisting of severe, painful motion or weakness in the affected extremity 40 30

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion, rate by analogy to diagnostic code 5214.

Minimum rating 20 20

Note: The 100 pct rating for 1 year following implantation of prosthesis will commence after initial grant of the 1-month total rating assigned under §4.30 following hospital discharge.

5054 Hip replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of the head of the femur or of the acetabulum:

For 1 year following implantation of prosthesis 100

Following implantation of prosthesis with painful motion or weakness such as to require the use of crutches 190

Markedly severe residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion following implantation of prosthesis 70

Moderately severe residuals of weakness, pain or limitation of motion 50

Minimum rating 30

5055 Knee replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of knee joint:

With chronic residuals consisting of severe painful motion or weakness in the affected extremity 60

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion rate by analogy to diagnostic codes 5256, 5261, or 5262.

Minimum rating 30

5056 Ankle replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of ankle joint:

With chronic residuals consisting of severe painful motion or weakness 40

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion rate by analogy to 5270 or 5271.

Minimum rating 20

Note (1): The 100 pct rating for 1 year following implantation of prosthesis will commence after initial grant of the 1-month total rating assigned under §4.30 following hospital discharge.

Note (2): Special monthly compensation is assignable during the 100 pct rating period the earliest date permanent use of crutches is established.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

This recent BVA decision might help you :

http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/Files1/1108703.txt

I found nothing at BVA at all refering to Bengal cages.That surprised me.Maybe I didn't search enough.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/Files1/1108703.txt

By using the BVA search feature and his exact disability you might find more there that would help determine a rating.

Someone at Yuku also where you posted this might have more info.

I sure would like to know the answer here myself as it seems these would be considered prosthetic implants to me bu might be considered part of an overall rating.

I am interested in this as well since my spouse had the same surgery...

I know you said your spouse had the same surgery, does he have the Bengal cages, screws, wires and plating in his neck. If so has he already been rated and what is his rating.

Thanks!