VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo For Tdiu From Liscensed Counselor?

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

Would a letter from a liscensed counselor stating that I am unable to work due to my PTSD and symptoms help my case? Would they want my records from this counselor? I would prefer to not provide them, as my wife and I see this counselor as a couple and do not want the VA scrutinizing or using my wife's past problems as a reason to not grant a claim.

Thanks

Draggin'

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have an answer to my own question, provided by my counselor.

He recommended that I be sure to let them know more while at the VA about the problems I am having, and to possibly get into one of the groups or with a psychologist there, as the group leaders and VA psychologists report often.

The reason I needed a second opinion is because my psychiatrist recently put on his annual review notes that I was "employable or have employable qualities". Problem is he doesn't know the half of it or that I have recently failed most of my college classes. The only one (medically) who knows all of this is a counselor (not from VA). So I'm on a mission to make things very known at the VA.

We'll see if that helps.

Draggin'

Just be real careful when presenting your case to the VA!!! They thrive on information you give that will help destroy your claim!

• HadIt.com Elder

As I see it now the information would be helpful but you really do need to see a VA shrink to nail this claim.

Agreed and trust me, we are being very very careful at this point. No more being pushed and no more faking a happy face as well. I had already been offered some additional help, as my doc was concerned that I was paying for additional counseling and wanted to get me the free help available to me. I really do think it's a matter of him (or someone else at VA) not knowing the extent of my problems.

Thanks

Draggin'

Hi all, let me very quickly introduce myself. I am Draggin’s wife. A majority of what he has posted here in the past has been with my help. I’m pretty sure that from here on out, I’ll be the one posting. So when I say we, I mean him ;)

After the recommendation from our former counselor, hubby decided to be up front with his doctors and psychiatrist. I finally just came straight out and asked for a medical opinion letter during one of hubby's appointments (I go into every appointment with him to help him remember things). We got it! But I have some questions and need opinions. I have questions about our TDIU

and NOD for rate increase claim (which are currently being reviewed together) and this letter. Unfortunately, I am actually hesitant to send in this letter. Our goal is proving he is P&T. In the letter it says: “Based on current evaluation it is unlikely that he can be gainfully employed and in my clinical opinion he is currently unemployable” (full letter is retyped below). It is otherwise a FABulous letter.

All other evidence, including the fact that he has NOT been employed since 2009(ish), has been submitted, including letters from his former employers speaking of his inability to work. My question and concern with sending it in is that the psych letter says things like “current” and “currently”…I would hate to put questions in the reviewer’s mind as to whether or not he’s Permanent and Totally impaired. Does it seem like this letter would do more harm than good? Do I send in the letter from the psychiatrist, possibly take the 100% or increase or whatever we get, and later fight for the P&T? Appeals take forever.

Recently the VA requested work records from 2009 (the last time he worked) and let us know that it was our responsibility to get those records to them. I took it as a good sign that they are trying to determine the last time he worked, as we were uncertain when we originally filed. Not sure what else to do and I need opinions. Hubby is currently at 70% combined. 50% PTSD/depression, 20% other physical.

Entire letter from psychiatrist:

To Whom it May Concern:

Mr. ______ is a 32 year old married W/M, OIF combat veteran who was in Iraq from 3/03 to 10/03, a Sergeant in the US Army stationed in Takhrit. He had traumatic experiences which resulted in PTSD. He has symptoms of PTSD and depression. The patient reports that he has been having a lot of ongoing PTSD symptom, nightmares, flashbacks, startle reactions, anger and irritability, emotional numbness, avoidance of reminders, crowds, people and noise. Difficulty in interacting with people which makes it difficult for him to go to school or even find or maintain a job. He has been unemployed for over 2 years and has not been able to go to school for over 2 months. He has been struggling with interacting even with family members and cannot stay in situations where family gets together.

On mental Status Examination this is a 32 year old overweight W/M, casually dressed, cooperative. Speech was intact. Mood “irritable”. Affect was congruent, full. No FTD. He was A&Ox3. He deined any current hallucinations or suicidal or homicidal ideations. Insight/judgment /cognition fair at this time.

Dx: Post traumatic stress disorder, major depressive disorder

Plan: Based on current evaluation it is unlikely that he can be gainfully employed and in my clinical opinion he is currently unemployable. Support provided. Continue regular visits and therapy

(signed and dated by psychiatrist)

Amazing, right?!! So should I send it in?
Thanks for the help in advance.

Draggin’s Wifey

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use