VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Report Dic Fraud

glider222

Question

I need some opinions. I definitely know of someone who is receiving DIC for a husband who passed in 1989. Since she has been with another man, has had three children with him and they refer

to each other as Husband and wife. It really bothers me. They have been together for 20yrs or more. Their oldest child is 15. They have not officially married. I have to remain anonymous as it

is a small town and I have to deal with them all the time. They are well off so the loss of money will not be an issue to the children.

Please advise if anyone has an opinion or experience with this.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Maine does not have a common law marriage statute.

What is the reason you would turn her in.

Obviously you have some un posted reason. Most folks do things like because of Jealousy.

She is entitled to DIC. She is also entitled to carry on with her life.

Be careful, this may backfire on you.

J

I need some opinions. I definitely know of someone who is receiving DIC for a husband who passed in 1989. Since she has been with another man, has had three children with him and they refer

to each other as Husband and wife. It really bothers me. They have been together for 20yrs or more. Their oldest child is 15. They have not officially married. I have to remain anonymous as it

is a small town and I have to deal with them all the time. They are well off so the loss of money will not be an issue to the children.

Please advise if anyone has an opinion or experience with this.

Sometimes one is better off to mind their own business. As much as it bothers you, and many of us as well, you've got to be prepared for the consequences in doing what's right. What I suggest is contacting the VA 800# and discuss the situation, or contact the VARO to determine your options first before you open this can of worms. As for myself and others, it is easy to say HELL yes report them, but we don't have to live with the potential backlash this may bring. The bottom line do what you think is right based on your personal values and morals.

JMO,

Bergie

I don't understand your question. If they are not legally married, according to the laws of the state they live in, are you suggesting that shacking up makes her ineligible? If she is eligible, I don't understand why it is bothering you, unless, it's for some other reason. You're going to do whatever you aim to do, regardless of any suggestions on here, but if I were you, I'd not be causing grief for people because I don't agree with their living arrangements. Are we going to be expecting VA to become like the moral police? Please!! As if they don't have enough they could be working on!! I could see if she was fraudulently obtaining benefits, but because she's living with some guy? I hate to break it to you, but look around you...society is not what it used to be!! If it were me, I'd be asking myself just why this would be bothering me?

Edited by Ethan'sGrandma

thank you all for your replies. I do not have a problem with shacking up as "Ethan's Grandma" mentions and it is not about jealousy. So if a state does not have "common law" marriage someone cannot not be found to be in an "inferred marriage" according to the VA regs?

I do not want to open a can of worms. However as the gov cracks down on funding, don't you think that money should go to a widow or vet who really needs it?

• HadIt.com Elder

thank you all for your replies. I do not have a problem with shacking up as "Ethan's Grandma" mentions and it is not about jealousy. So if a state does not have "common law" marriage someone cannot not be found to be in an "inferred marriage" according to the VA regs?

I do not want to open a can of worms. However as the gov cracks down on funding, don't you think that money should go to a widow or vet who really needs it?

Wrong answer. She is entitled to her DIC. Attitudes like that are not welcome here. You can pack up and move on. Dont start any of that who deserves crap here. We help all veterans and widows here because they are just as deserving as you.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm going to agree w/jbasser on this. If they are not legally married and from what you tell us, she's not doing anything really wrong, except lying, by telling people they're married, why get involved. What do you care if they are married or lying about it?? Are you the marriage police?? It sure sounds, to me, like you're jealous of their being "well off." I'd stay out of it. How do you know she's even getting DIC??? Sounds like something you shouldn't even know, unless your into prying?? jmo

pr