VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Huge Question About Secondary Condition

Rate this question

krbkwb02

Question

Hello All, Well I have read until my eyes are now hurting and burning, lol! I have the following service connected conditions; 20% Right Knee with degenerative arthritis...10% Tinnutis.....10% Chronic Left Shoulder Bursitis and 10% Depressive Disorder secondary to my right knee. My last Cp for the listed was decided in 2009. Now fast forward approximately 15 months (which would be like several months ago) I started developing pain in my right groin and hip, my private physician ordered xrays of the hip which showed degenerative change in the hip but really nothing else was said or done because he lost his license and over the past few months I have seen a few different docs. I now have a perm. one who ordered an MRI of the hip. The results showed that I have the following; hip fracture, ligament damage, severe osteoarthritis and I thought they said osteoporsis and bone marrow swelling, bad yeah I know, I am at my wits end because I have to have total replacement surgery and in constant pain. The question is wouldn't it be secondary to my right service connected knee since its the right hip? At the moment my left leg feels and acts ok. I plan on filing for an increase because the depression has gotten worse for sure and now my hip and knee are really hurting! So what do you all think, please help its driving me crazy. Thanks All!

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would be in agreement if the doc states an opinion in writing that your current diagnosis of the secondary disability,

and it's relationship to the already SC'd disability and supports the opinion with full medical rationale.

You may also have to take into consideration any specific pedigree that might be required, in regards

to a few specific disability's.

by the way my last decision had a "Deluca" rating for the shoulder and knee and they said they were both "errors"

Definitely claim as secondary, will need a DR statement connecting to knee. The hip of the same side is usually affected. This can also affect the spine(hip/spine syndrome) . Look into the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) If you are a candidate

it is a great alternative to a THR. I had my right hip resurfaced 2 years ago when I was 47, still have some pain but nothing compared to not being able to walk.

I am 10% right knee, 20% right shoulder. Told my hip is not related. Let's see, I was a Navy/Marine Corps Parachutist, had hundreds of PLF's (Parachute Landing Falls) off a Lifeguard Tower into the sand landing on the right side, Knee, hip, shoulder,

I can see where the hip Couldn't be affected, NOT! Put in for increase due to hips, l shoulder, tinnitus,hearing loss,spinal ddd , Chronic pain, l ankle tendon rupture, Depression. I feel your pain.

As with any "Machine", one bad component will have a direct wear and tear affect on other parts it is connected to if let go too long.

Good Luck and get all your ducks in a row. File an informal claim to establish a date . Connect it to the knee and the AASLT trauma, it makes complete sense.

I have to apologize to the spouses of Veterans and Veterans family here on Hadit. I unintentionally forgot to add you folks on my last post when I stated "The teachers here are Veterans that has been there, done that, and succeeded, and better yet, take their personal time off to come here (Hadit) and help us!" Maybe I should of just stated, "Veterans and family". Matter of fact, there are spouses here that has contributed more than you can imagine. I bow to you (spouses) on that respect! Again I apologize.

Everything is now reopened...I got the replacement surgery on 14 October, wrote the Va asking for secondary hip (right side) to service connected right knee and an increase for my depression. Currently I am awaiting to see if any of my Docs are willing to write me a letter stating it is or it's as likely as it is not...also have sent releases for all my records to be sent to Regional Office, is there anything else I should do? Thanks All1