VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Florida (Fl): St. Petersburg

• HadIt.com Elder

St. Petersburg Regional Office

This topic was created to try to help veterans who use this regional office. It is designed to offer a way for them to possibly help each other or band together to possibly get services improved.

When commenting in this topic, please try to do so constructively.

1. Mention reason for interacting with this regional office;

2. Give your pro/con on this interaction;

3. Without betraying private information, try to offer information or warnings that might be helpful to others when dealing with this office.

4. Please do not give names, phone numbers or addresses of specific persons at this office. If you do so, the post will be deleted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

I have been interacting with the St Pete VARO for 40 years. It is a black hole. I have nothing good to say about them.

Decisions out of that office are a puzzle even when you win.

• 1 month later...

Filed claim 7/6/2010 for IHD due to exposure to AO in Korea (non DMZ), denied 4/4/2011. NOD on 4/18/2011.

Filed 2nd claim on 4/28/2011 for #1 Hypothyroidism-secondary to IHD & esposure to AO (knowing it had been denied),

#2 DJD in spine & neck #3 Serum sickness-anaphylactic shock-penicillin allergy #4 hearling loss & tinnitus left ear.

My impression & opinion based on personal experience:

#1 Decision on claims is slow due to in part to lack of attention to detail by personnel. Example: they waited 5 1/2 months

before asking for records. In first line of claim says exposure was in KOREA. After nearly 6 months there is a note

in my records that states "this is not a Nehmer claim, exposure was not in Vietnam"

#2 Filed request for copy of C-file under Privacy Act on January 12, 2011. After several complaints to senator,

iris, Sec Shinseki, etc. they sent me an incomplete file on 6/15/2011, missing at least 3 crucial documents I sent them

and also in particular missing the requested copy of documentation where they claimed to have requested

"herbicide exposure records". Filed appeal under Privacy Act. Contemplating hiring attorney, they can explain

their actions at their cost.

#3 On two ocassions personnel at St Petersburg have hung up on me.I won't accept phone calls from them now.

#4 Before I shipped the copy of C-file (short as it was, but 666 pages) north, I learned that the file was, for the

majority of the 9 months, not in the RO office but at a claims rep's house who was telecomputing! Nothing

really wrong with that I guess but it somehow just seems wrong.

In two weeks I will be transferring to another RO. Problem is if I give weight to the "views" on this site the RO

I will be transferring to will be the second busiest. No problem, I started out there over 40 years ago, maybe they

have some better people, in no way could they be worse. In any event I have my far future figured out and will

be able to work on the near future when I get to what I consider a safe place.

In fairness let me say the VAMC at Orlando is in my opinion first class all the way.

Filed claim 7/6/2010 for IHD due to exposure to AO in Korea (non DMZ), denied 4/4/2011. NOD on 4/18/2011.

Filed 2nd claim on 4/28/2011 for #1 Hypothyroidism-secondary to IHD & esposure to AO (knowing it had been denied),

#2 DJD in spine & neck #3 Serum sickness-anaphylactic shock-penicillin allergy #4 hearling loss & tinnitus left ear.

My impression & opinion based on personal experience:

#1 Decision on claims is slow due to in part to lack of attention to detail by personnel. Example: they waited 5 1/2 months

before asking for records. In first line of claim says exposure was in KOREA. After nearly 6 months there is a note

in my records that states "this is not a Nehmer claim, exposure was not in Vietnam"

#2 Filed request for copy of C-file under Privacy Act on January 12, 2011. After several complaints to senator,

iris, Sec Shinseki, etc. they sent me an incomplete file on 6/15/2011, missing at least 3 crucial documents I sent them

and also in particular missing the requested copy of documentation where they claimed to have requested

"herbicide exposure records". Filed appeal under Privacy Act. Contemplating hiring attorney, they can explain

their actions at their cost.

#3 On two ocassions personnel at St Petersburg have hung up on me.I won't accept phone calls from them now.

#4 Before I shipped the copy of C-file (short as it was, but 666 pages) north, I learned that the file was, for the

majority of the 9 months, not in the RO office but at a claims rep's house who was telecomputing! Nothing

really wrong with that I guess but it somehow just seems wrong.

In two weeks I will be transferring to another RO. Problem is if I give weight to the "views" on this site the RO

I will be transferring to will be the second busiest. No problem, I started out there over 40 years ago, maybe they

have some better people, in no way could they be worse. In any event I have my far future figured out and will

be able to work on the near future when I get to what I consider a safe place.

In fairness let me say the VAMC at Orlando is in my opinion first class all the way.

i have dealt with st pete for 23 years now. i'm sorry you have had issues as i haven't for the most part.

Today, August 18, 2011 I received a letter from St Pete and 3 of the requested documents.

Added info:

#1 The documents they sent are ORIGINAL large scale maps/aerial photos I sent. They are not

copies. Now the C-file (99% sure) is devoid of these documents, and not available for

the DRO review or the appeal with BVA. I will be returning these documents with a

demand they be RETAINED in the C-file.

#2 Strange that #1 excuse given for original delay 1/12/2011 to 6/15/2011 in responding to

Privacy Act request was that the file was unavailable for copying due to being with the

developer/rater. Funny it only took them from August 3, 2011 to August 18, 2011 which

included mailing time to come up with some of the documents when the file is supposed

to be under review.

#3 What St Pete doesn't know yet is that this morning the VA OGC received an appeal under

Privacy Act for not sending complete C-file. Even with the 3 documents there is more

lacking. Oh, well I gave them 30 days. We'll see what happens.

• 1 month later...

I was just denied for PTSD from ST. Pete R.O this was the 6th time that I was denied, the bad thing is I should qualifiy under the new law that the president past in July of 2010 for the new standards to for PTSD,but St.Pete went by the old laws. I am getting tired of dealing with a R.O that acts like they do give a care for none of the Veterens that put in for claims or calls down there.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use