VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy

Rate this question

evandc

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

"We have had extensive work up in the past for treatable causes of neuropathy and no treatable causes have been noted. He was exposed to Agent Orange and it is as likely as not that his chronic neuropathy is related to Agent Orange."

Never thought I'd see a VA doctor enter that comment into my file. The PN in hands is mild (comes & goes). The right foot is bad & the left foot is something like numb (all the time) & useless. After being connected for PTSD, Cancer & IHD I really think the pain from the PN in left foot bothers me more than anything I have ever experienced. I have never filed & know to get Chronic PN connected is a real PAIN IN THE BUTT. Have to really have my mind working & use the "benefit of doubt" rule to the fullest. Interesting regardless of what happens next.

Don

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I've had doctors connect this with both DMII and CAD/IHD. At the same time, the VA denies that PAD is related to A.O. Go figure.

Conventionally, (Non VA), PAD is a seconday condition closely related to DMII and CAD when both are present.

"We have had extensive work up in the past for treatable causes of neuropathy and no treatable causes have been noted. He was exposed to Agent Orange and it is as likely as not that his chronic neuropathy is related to Agent Orange."

Never thought I'd see a VA doctor enter that comment into my file. The PN in hands is mild (comes & goes). The right foot is bad & the left foot is something like numb (all the time) & useless. After being connected for PTSD, Cancer & IHD I really think the pain from the PN in left foot bothers me more than anything I have ever experienced. I have never filed & know to get Chronic PN connected is a real PAIN IN THE BUTT. Have to really have my mind working & use the "benefit of doubt" rule to the fullest. Interesting regardless of what happens next.

Don

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck,

The way the AO presumptives are written (acute & subacute PN) no one would every be connected with those insane rules. You had to have it within year & it would be gone next year & all this more than twenty years before the rules were written. The big but has been if you are Diabetic we can connect you for PN. Must be April Foll's Day or something.

Don

Edited by evandc

Don

Momma said no question is ever a dumb one, so here goes ...... "Do you have any other illnesses or diseases that are sc that ARE related to AO exposure ?"

My husband has DMII related to AO and he is sc for PN in all 4 extremities, although his legs and feet have become much, much worse since he was sc for the DMII and he does have CAD & Hypertension, neither of which are sc. We've reopened his claim and there is a claim for the increase in the PN. He takes 2 medications for the PN and some days, he can't walk. The good days he walks with a limp. Worse thing about PN is you can't "see" it .... like a bruise. He has described it to me, saying it feels like his legs are on fire from the inside out.

BTW, what do you think the doctor meant --- "treatable cause" ? Funny term, never heard that one. PN is horrible, I wish you well.

Edited by VetsLady

I've had doctors connect this with both DMII and CAD/IHD. At the same time, the VA denies that PAD is related to A.O. Go figure.

Conventionally, (Non VA), PAD is a seconday condition closely related to DMII and CAD when both are present.

I don't have MD after my name but have lived with and cared for my diabetic husband for many years. I'm with you on this......DMII, CAD/IHD -- all related. Sticky blood, shrinkage of the coronary arteries, more pressure on the heart to pump the sticky blood through, build up of plaque, oh my gosh .... the list goes on and on. Add hypertension to the picture. There is no doubt about it, according to the endocronologist my husband has seen for years that his CAD, PN, IHD is all related to the DMII.

Connect the dots. It's ridiculous what they put our Veterans through to prove their cases. I get it and get why, but geez...it's really horrible. For instance, here we are, 3 years AFTER he received his sc for DMII and related conditions (which have all worsened), we have proved beyond a shadow of doubt that he was exposed to AO --- if we hadn't, they would't have sc him for it, right ? In the mail the other day is a big brown envelope with a nice long letter " We need you to send us proof you were in Vietnam and exposed to AO".... and this is from the Nehmer team ! It was my sincere pleasure to respond with "Refer to your Decision dated such and such." What the ________ ? I'm just thinking, okay, I'll be kind and courteous.....oh, it must have been a mistake on your part VA, please correct this. And, they did.

Edited by VetsLady

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm connected for Cancer from Agent Orange at 100%-pending a review for reduction. I also was connected for IHD at 60% in Dec. 2010 back to 2001 from Agent Orange. So those two are presumptive AO connected issues. Before all that started I was 100% (70% PTSD, 30% TDIU) P & T from July 2002. When it all shakes out I will be cut $300 a month since the Cancer is in remission. Go Figure it's the VA Math gone wild.

What doctor is saying is she has not found no other cause for the PN, but the Agent Orange Exposure. PN is really hard to explain to anyone that does not have it. Some day it's feels better not to walk & I know it's better to move around. At times I get the feet tied up & fall on my face. I've lost track of the times that I fell for no reason. Guess any one walking by would assume I was drunk. I can understand what your husband is saying. I take 2400mg Gabapentin, 20mg baclofen Tylenol #3 & Analgesic Cream (apply several times daily)... At best that's just dulls the pain. Hard to describe it's numb, but hurts like hell. Good luck to your husband

Don

I'm connected for Cancer from Agent Orange at 100%-pending a review for reduction. I also was connected for IHD at 60% in Dec. 2010 back to 2001 from Agent Orange. So those two are presumptive AO connected issues. Before all that started I was 100% (70% PTSD, 30% TDIU) P & T from July 2002. When it all shakes out I will be cut $300 a month since the Cancer is in remission. Go Figure it's the VA Math gone wild.

What doctor is saying is she has not found no other cause for the PN, but the Agent Orange Exposure. PN is really hard to explain to anyone that does not have it. Some day it's feels better not to walk & I know it's better to move around. At times I get the feet tied up & fall on my face. I've lost track of the times that I fell for no reason. Guess any one walking by would assume I was drunk. I can understand what your husband is saying. I take 2400mg Gabapentin, 20mg baclofen Tylenol #3 & Analgesic Cream (apply several times daily)... At best that's just dulls the pain. Hard to describe it's numb, but hurts like hell. Good luck to your husband

Don

Yep, I know what he goes through. My husband also takes the Gabapentin along with a strong pain medication the pain is soooooooo bad. Much worse at night.

Good Luck to you too Don. ;-)

Edited by VetsLady