VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy

Rate this question

evandc

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

"We have had extensive work up in the past for treatable causes of neuropathy and no treatable causes have been noted. He was exposed to Agent Orange and it is as likely as not that his chronic neuropathy is related to Agent Orange."

Never thought I'd see a VA doctor enter that comment into my file. The PN in hands is mild (comes & goes). The right foot is bad & the left foot is something like numb (all the time) & useless. After being connected for PTSD, Cancer & IHD I really think the pain from the PN in left foot bothers me more than anything I have ever experienced. I have never filed & know to get Chronic PN connected is a real PAIN IN THE BUTT. Have to really have my mind working & use the "benefit of doubt" rule to the fullest. Interesting regardless of what happens next.

Don

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Vetslady said:

"Connect the dots. It's ridiculous what they put our Veterans through to prove their cases. I get it and get why, but geez...it's really horrible. For instance, here we are, 3 years AFTER he received his sc for DMII and related conditions (which have all worsened), we have proved beyond a shadow of doubt that he was exposed to AO --- if we hadn't, they would't have sc him for it, right ? In the mail the other day is a big brown envelope with a nice long letter " We need you to send us proof you were in Vietnam and exposed to AO".... and this is from the Nehmer team ! It was my sincere pleasure to respond with "Refer to your Decision dated such and such." What the ________ ? I'm just thinking, okay, I'll be kind and courteous.....oh, it must have been a mistake on your part VA, please correct this. And, they did."

Good for you!! That letter was ridiculOUS.

Don's quote:

"We have had extensive work up in the past for treatable causes of neuropathy and no treatable causes have been noted. He was exposed to Agent Orange and it is as likely as not that his chronic neuropathy is related to Agent Orange."

That is an incredible VA statement!

Vetslady said:

"Connect the dots. It's ridiculous what they put our Veterans through to prove their cases. I get it and get why, but geez...it's really horrible. For instance, here we are, 3 years AFTER he received his sc for DMII and related conditions (which have all worsened), we have proved beyond a shadow of doubt that he was exposed to AO --- if we hadn't, they would't have sc him for it, right ? In the mail the other day is a big brown envelope with a nice long letter " We need you to send us proof you were in Vietnam and exposed to AO".... and this is from the Nehmer team ! It was my sincere pleasure to respond with "Refer to your Decision dated such and such." What the ________ ? I'm just thinking, okay, I'll be kind and courteous.....oh, it must have been a mistake on your part VA, please correct this. And, they did."

Don's quote:

Berta.....It is ridiculOUS !

They did an exam for the increase of PN in Jan of this year, that claim re-opening is in the decision phase. Now, they are scheduling him for an IHD exam specifically. With the PN exam they did a Doppler, EKG, echocardiogram and chest X-ray. I just got off the phone with QTC and they are scheduling him for the IHD exam as they have questions about his heart condition......, Speaking with the QTC gal was like talking to a wall.

What tests do they perform on an IHD claim ?

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

As you can understand this is a very special doctor. I was talking to her during several visits & she said we have never found any other cause for your PN. Told her that would be nice to have in my next write up. The computer was down that visit & she made herself a note & promised to add that comment. Requested copy when it was entered later, but after thinking about it & taking with vet friends we bet that she would back out of it probably from pressure in her department. Now at least I have it for whatever happens in the future.

• HadIt.com Elder

VetsLady,

IHD Exam-first part exam/interview. Main thing with that was to see how much you can do, walk, cut grass, exercise etc. When my docotor said you can't do much outside work I agreed & that was about the end of that conversation. I can wash clothes, dishes, do light house work. From personal experience it would be best if he can't mow grass or any other outside work. That's probably the truth, but trust me the differnce in METS Score which is part of the rating procees could make % go up or down (Maybe) 30% just by saying you can do outside work, my METS was 3.0. The other part is the Echocardigram of the heart & they get an Ejection Fraction from that test, mine was 50-55% I got 60% back to 2001 beacuse I filed a CAD Claim & had claim turned down back then.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's an interesting statement from a VA doctor, to say the least. The "likely as not" is about the most positive statement VA doctors or C&P examiners usually make.

I had an examiner avoid a similar issue by saying that the conditions involved were presumptive, the preliminary exam results were positive for the condition, and records showed feet on ground, and the severity and existence of the condition.

The examiner also stated that the exam was not complete (she did not do all the things that the VA protocols required, and METs was based upon the veterans statements of capability. Actual treadmill testing was not done.)

(The treating cardiologist had noted that treadmill testing imposed an unacceptable risk.) The examiner did ask for an outside test, which the contracting cardiologist declined to do, due to risk and liability.

In this area, the treating cardiologist's stature is quite high, and no practicing cardiologist or open heart surgeon will even think about irritating the treating cardiologist without serious cause.

Vetslady said:

Don's quote: