VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

High Blood Pressure And Cholestarol

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I was denied my claim for high blood pressure and high cholestarol, I knew I would be denied because I never received medication while in the military. Now that I am retired and I just retired in Oct 2010 I recently went to my first VA appt and the doctors put me on Blood Pressure and Cholestarol medication. Can I file a NOD for the two claims or is this a waiste of time? I am already at 100% but I am not P and T, my 100% is actually 94.85 and one drop would send me down. What should I do?

vet2010

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

All it has to do is show up within one year of separation and they have to grant. Its not something they can continue to deny.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have any in service medical records, such as a retirement physical, that show higher than normal blood pressure, (and so forth), you have a chance of getting things service connected. Although the VA and DOD will not admit it, there are MOS's that have a relationship to high blood pressure, etc. You do have some time to collect your thoughts, get advice, and if you desire, file an NOD to disagree with the VA's denial. In theory, you can file an NOD that is limited to a specific decision or rating detail.

As to is it worth the trouble, based upon a gain/loss consideration, that is something you alone can decide. I'm in a different situation, in that a 100% P&T rating is not questionable, and additional compensation would be due if certain other ratings were increased by 10% or more.

I was denied my claim for high blood pressure and high cholestarol, I knew I would be denied because I never received medication while in the military. Now that I am retired and I just retired in Oct 2010 I recently went to my first VA appt and the doctors put me on Blood Pressure and Cholestarol medication. Can I file a NOD for the two claims or is this a waiste of time? I am already at 100% but I am not P and T, my 100% is actually 94.85 and one drop would send me down. What should I do?

vet2010

• HadIt.com Elder

high cholesterol is not considered a "disability" it is a lab report since you are 100% the 10 or 20% rating for HBP will not affect your benefits even if they award the HBP, it just opens up a claim for a heart attack or other cardiac issues down the road you never know if you will develop further cardiac issues I would try and get the HBP SC, since it was discovered within a few months of your retirement date. I fought with the VA for more than 7 years to get my CAD and HBP SC but then I have now had 9 heart attacks and a stroke which began when I was 36 back in 1992 and in Oct 2002 they determined I was totally disabled by heart disease mine is connected as a secondary condition to my SC PTSD but the odds I will die from heart problems is greater than any other issues I have so the fight was to ensure my wife gets the DIC benefits when I die