VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Progress

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I received an initial S/C PTSD rating of 30%. I am filing a NOD (increase to 50%) and based on advice have notarized letters from my employer (2 bosses) regarding the accomodation given to me allowing for things related to my PTSD. I have a letter from a 'Nam buddy attesting to my anger issues and other things. I also have notarized letters from 2 of my step-daughters regarding the negative impact my PTSD has on my family. I have informed my V.A. Psych and Therapist and asked if they could help by writing letters regarding the level of my PTSD and am waiting for those.

Can any one who's been there guess at an outcome ?

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Why are you requesting 50%, when it is always assumed the claimant is requesting the maximum allowed by law. You may be shooting yourself in the foot. I'd argue for the highest rating possible and see what they give you. Bear in mind that notarizing a letter just confirms that the person's signature on it is the person who signed it. I suggest an affidavit, swearing to the contents of the letter, under penalties of perjury. It carries more evidentuary weight. Also, all statements should describe how your PTSD effects/affects you today and tomorrow and not how bad your stressors were. jmo

pr

I received an initial S/C PTSD rating of 30%. I am filing a NOD (increase to 50%) and based on advice have notarized letters from my employer (2 bosses) regarding the accomodation given to me allowing for things related to my PTSD. I have a letter from a 'Nam buddy attesting to my anger issues and other things. I also have notarized letters from 2 of my step-daughters regarding the negative impact my PTSD has on my family. I have informed my V.A. Psych and Therapist and asked if they could help by writing letters regarding the level of my PTSD and am waiting for those.

Can any one who's been there guess at an outcome ?

I am not requesting 50%, I just feel that that is where it should be, but others are to be the judge of that. The letters do attest to my life as it is now. I guess all I can do is try.

Emandg,

My personal experience at providing a signed statement in support of a claim is that the C&P examiner glanced at it and tossed it aside and I have not found it listed as evidence. What I found that does work is submitting a support statement on the VA Statement in Support of Claim form (VBA-21-4138-ARE). I presented a buddy letter and a support letter from my wife on one and I can see on ebenefits where it is listed as evidence and the date that it was presented.

Document VBA-21-4138-ARE

It may be a pain to get the letters converted to this form but it will be well worth it.

• HadIt.com Elder

The reason that form works sooo well is the sworn statement, which is under penalties of perjury. I certainly recommend it's use.

pr

Emandg,

My personal experience at providing a signed statement in support of a claim is that the C&P examiner glanced at it and tossed it aside and I have not found it listed as evidence. What I found that does work is submitting a support statement on the VA Statement in Support of Claim form (VBA-21-4138-ARE). I presented a buddy letter and a support letter from my wife on one and I can see on ebenefits where it is listed as evidence and the date that it was presented.

Document VBA-21-4138-ARE

It may be a pain to get the letters converted to this form but it will be well worth it.

• HadIt.com Elder

emandg - please don't think I was scolding you or anything like that, as it was not my intention! I was merely offering some advice, that's all. Sorry, if I was misunderstood. My point was that letters don't count as much as affidavits and it might be beneficial to change them now, as we want you to win, as we do all vets!!!

pr

I am not requesting 50%, I just feel that that is where it should be, but others are to be the judge of that. The letters do attest to my life as it is now. I guess all I can do is try.

• HadIt.com Elder

Since of new regulations about PTSD is there any point in getting IMO to show how bad his condition is now? With most disability ratings getting a good IMO is the gold standard. Back ten years ago my IMO's were all that got me my TDIU. The VA was sticking with a 30% rating.