VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Progress

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I received an initial S/C PTSD rating of 30%. I am filing a NOD (increase to 50%) and based on advice have notarized letters from my employer (2 bosses) regarding the accomodation given to me allowing for things related to my PTSD. I have a letter from a 'Nam buddy attesting to my anger issues and other things. I also have notarized letters from 2 of my step-daughters regarding the negative impact my PTSD has on my family. I have informed my V.A. Psych and Therapist and asked if they could help by writing letters regarding the level of my PTSD and am waiting for those.

Can any one who's been there guess at an outcome ?

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes and -that would make sense-once the PTSD diagnosis has been established and rated.I think I misunderstood that at first.

While the new PTSD criteria has probably helped many many veterans, it still leaves out the right of any veteran to present the best evidence they can-(such as an IMO) if the VA refuses to diagnose PTSD yet a private MH doctor has done that with a full medical rationale or could do that if requested.

If we are all sup[posed to get Due Process,then in my opinion, due process as well as common sense eluded the VA when they wrote these new PTSD regs.

Somewhere in the PTSD fporum I gave cases at the BVA, that were decided after these regs came out-showing in one case they helped the vet to succeed, but did not help the other vet.

I also wonder if many raters know what the fear of hostile activity really is and how an MOS itself could garner a stressor of that nature.

Berta posted:

"This is the unfair part-

if a claim falls under the new regs as determined by filing date in the Q & A, the veteran is prohibited from getting an IMO to prove he or she has a diagnosis of PTSD.

Only a PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH care professional will be accepted by the VA as proof of established diagnosis of PTSD."

I agree. This is in conflict with the regulations that allow a Veteran to get an IMO to refute the opinion of VA docs on other conditions. What is it about PTSD that is so special that VA docs can diagnose it, but private practice docs somehow are incompetent to diagnose PTSD?

This "bias" for VA docs opinion over private practice docs is simply hogwash. It assumes, somehow, without support, that VA physician training is superior to medical training in private practice. However, the VA turns around and hires QTC "docs" that are NOT trained by the VA due C and P exams. They are not even VA employees. If the only medical degree that was worth a hoot was a "VA medical degree", then all of the QTC exams should be thrown out, as they are not made by VA doctors, but by the "inferior" private practice docs.

• HadIt.com Elder

I can foresee what'll happen with this. The VA just won't diagnose PTSD. Instead they'll call it adjustment disorder, or something else, thereby blocking the vet from winning their claim. The game is fixed. jmo

pr

I concur with PR's opinion, and add that if the VA can get away with this on PTSD, why stop there? Why not require a VA medical opinion on depression and everything else...and simply eliminate the Veteran who gets benefits based on an IMO. Its the VA "back door" method of eliminating IMO's. We know that when the VA takes away benefits, and gets away with it, they will expand on that to the max. Its the VA way.

Figured I'd keep this up so others may benefit. I met with my V.A. Therapist (Doctor of Psychology) yesterday in which a half hour appointment lasted for over 1.5 hours (last paitient of the day). The building was dark and closed when she unlocked the door to let me out. She has been the most helpful person of all the helpful people I have run across since I got into the "system". When the appointment started I had forgotten that it was to review the results of my MMPI. I was pretty wrapped up in other events with my life. I had previously contacted her telling her I intended to file a NOD on my rating and she stated that she is working on a letter. She stated that I was pretty well low balled by the C&P examiner (this is the one that she stated before "does that to all the vets and is pretty well known for his actions) and would do what she needed to do to assist me. SO, there is one more for jusitification. My V.A. Psychiatrist will do the same as we have previously spoken of the outcome of the rating board and the negative inpiut from the C&P examiner that got me the 30%. Don't get me wrong, 30% is fine, I want the "system" to pay for my meds and my treatment. I'm just not going to give up and go away. The Thereapist review indicated by the MMPI I was off the chain and the prognosis for succesful treatment was slim to none. She also said that based on that prognosis she could cut me loose if whe wanted, but she will not do that. I guess I'm rambeling now, I will keep my progress updated on this site. Thanks everyone for all the help.

[url=http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.carlandnansgraphics.com/catalog/1st_cavalry_artillery.png&imgrefurl=http://www.carlandnansgraphics.com/servlet/the-185/United-States-Army,-1st/Detail&usg=__j0gs_L840a_wuVcTLMY6Opb7CpM=&h=284&w=300&sz=32&hl=en&start=40&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=usxgBUT6HWSCVM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=116&prev=/search%3Fq%3D1st%2Bcav%2Bartillery%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1262%26bih%3D831%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26tbm%3Disch&ei=NsEJTrDKFs2htwfXwNSLAQ]

Edited by emandg