VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reduction From 100% To 20%

Rate this topic

evandc

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you read it right. I got the envelope yesterday. VA cut my 100% for Prostate Cancer to 20% Then they awarded me SMC "K" for ED. So bottom line I get $96 a month more. I know that's a strange Success Story. Moved from $3143 to $3239 effective Feb. 1, 2011.

100% (70% PTSD, 30% TDIU)

60% IHD/AO Exposure

20% Prostate Cancer/AO Exposure

SMC "S"

SMC "K"

Edited by evandc

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read the title I was ready to tell you to appeal asap as I thought you really got reduced from 100% to 20%, but then read the content and see where your % of monetary benefit amount is increased by your unfortunate Ed but at least you get $96. more a month. So were you treated recently for the Cancer, and they say no residuals and they "got it all?" Is that why they changed the % with this? Investigate the reasoning they used for this change. I don't ever trust them with any claims, changes, increases, decreases, etc. Did you know they were investigating this? Had you had recent appointments, or other claims which may have initiating them reviewing your c-file? How long you been 100%?

Sometimes it just doesn't seem to make sense...but it's a success story in the end!! Although somewhat strange, it was very interesting to hear how it worked for you.

Congratulations Evandc!

• HadIt.com Elder

I had Prostate Cancer several years ago. I still see doctor twice a year, but my PSA is very low. For some reason they never called me in to evaluate me for a reduction. When my Nehmer IHD Claim was decided that brought the Prostate Cancer to their attention. I got the IHD Award Dec 27, 2010 & had exam Jan 11, 2011 for reduction in Prostate award. I really think they had just missed me & that only noticed it when the IHD Claim came about & you know that any new claim opens up your entire file, so this is what happened. It all worked much better than I could have dreamed. The reduction considering my residuals is in line so overall it's all good with me.

Yes-I agree with you -the decision seems to be correct as your prostate cancer residuals are so low. This is very good news in that respect.

We get many SMC questions ere -so many that I feel SMCed to death!

But your ratings show exactly how the S award comes into play and also the K award.

100% (70% PTSD, 30% TDIU) (ONE independent disability rated at 70 but then TDIU- 100%)(Bradley V Peake)

60% IHD/AO Exposure the second disability that is separate medically from the first one andat 60% triggers SMC S

20% Prostate Cancer/AO Exposure residual rating

SMC "S" due to 100 plus 60

SMC "K" due to the 20 Prostate condition. (K does not depend on the actual rating for disability that caused this type of K award)

It is a good template for potential SMCers to interpret.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use