VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Ptsd

Rate this question

Navalaircrewman

Question

I had a C&P exam in May for PTSD. Prior to that I have been seeing the VA mental health for almost a year for PTSD. They diagnosed me with PTSD. At the C&P in May, the psychologist stated that I did not meet the criteria for a PTSD diagnosis, but did have anxiety and depression. The report states that I do have symptoms associated with PTSD, but DO NOT meet the DSM IV criteria for PTSD. He stated that the anxiety and depression are MORE LIKELY THAN NOT related to military service. he stated combat service-Yes. I have no axis II diagnosis, and a GAF of 51. What are my next steps, if any? Am I screwed, since the claim was for PTSD, not anxiety and depression?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

No, if they find you anxiety and depression is service connected you can get a rating for that just like PTSD.

Navair,

I had the same situation happen to me. They rated me for an anxiety disorder even though I claimed PTSD, and i didnt have to do anything extra. There responce will proably say something along the lines as % anxiety disorder, originally claimed as PTSD. I would tell you exactly how they worded my award but i recently moved and all that stuff is in boxes. The only downside I see to anxiety disorder over PTSD is that the PTSD service members have the better clinic, at my VAMC.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you have an upcoming appointment with a VA psychologist or psychiatrist, it might worth a shot to copy of your exam and ask them to look it over, get their opinion, etc...

I had a C&P exam in May for PTSD. Prior to that I have been seeing the VA mental health for almost a year for PTSD. They diagnosed me with PTSD. At the C&P in May, the psychologist stated that I did not meet the criteria for a PTSD diagnosis, but did have anxiety and depression. The report states that I do have symptoms associated with PTSD, but DO NOT meet the DSM IV criteria for PTSD. He stated that the anxiety and depression are MORE LIKELY THAN NOT related to military service. he stated combat service-Yes. I have no axis II diagnosis, and a GAF of 51. What are my next steps, if any? Am I screwed, since the claim was for PTSD, not anxiety and depression?

Naval,

The prior posts are correct, the VBA can SC your anxiety/depression under these conditions,

especially since the C&P examiner opined it is more likely than not related to military service

and that you had combat service.

All MH disabilities granted by VBA are rated under the same criteria and you get one single rating

for MH problems no matter how many diagnosis there are - they are mostly co-morbid.

VA is to provide the highest evaluation according to the evidence of record.

Can you expand a bit on the examiner stating - you have symptoms associated with PTSD,

but do not meet the DSMiV criteria for PTSD, did the examiner state what was missing or their opinion

of why you don't meet the DSMIV criteria ?

Carlie,

In my explaining to the examiner about an aircraft I was a crewmwmber on flying into Somalia, getting shot at while we were on approach, I explained to him that it wasn't until we were on the ground that I realized we were so close to death, and I felt frightened. In his report, he stated that since I didn't exhibit an immediate fear for my life, that that is a requirement for a PTSD diagnosis. He did state that I do exhibit symptoms of, including sleeplessness, anxiety, depression, difficulty holding jobs, and relationships. So in the axis I, he put anxiety and depression as the diagnosis, axis II-None, Axis V- GAF 51....combat service-YES. "exhibit sym,ptoms of PTSD..meet the criteria for a PTSD Diagnosis-NO...and of course the "more likley than not" for the anxiety and depression. Do you think that they'll deny my claim because the claim was for PTSD, not anxiety and depression? Or, will they possibly rate the anxiety and depression for service connection? THanks!