VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi And Ssi-Turning 62 In September-How Should I File To Be Protected...

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

I will be turning 62 the last part of September. I know i can go on and fill out all of the paperwork online for this.

My question is, I will not be working after 08/05/11, due to my service connected disabilities and one other disability ( not recognized by VA yet).

The VA is sending me a letter that I will no longer be able to work after the 5th. (for the pulmonary disease).

By the way, our outside cardiologist put it in writing that the pulmonary affected my AO IHD. We are sending this in as new evidence.

The VA pulmonologist is the one writing the unable to work anymore.

We asked the VA pulmonologist if this disease affected my heart and he said yes. We asked if he would include this in our progress notes, he said yes, & and we did see him typing this. We have not gotten our records printed on this. I do hope that VA did not take this out of our records to protect themselves, but it would not surprise me at all. If it is in there, we will send both for new evidence.

Should I go on and file for SSI and then on 08/05/11, file for SSDI? I know that they will recognize the SSI first and then I would be assured of some money at least while I "wait the waiting game!!

Any ideas on this, for I need to start filing this weekend for SSI.

Help, I could really use some of your wise imput!!

Rockman

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I will be turning 62 the last part of September. I know i can go on and fill out all of the paperwork online for this.

My question is, I will not be working after 08/05/11, due to my service connected disabilities and one other disability ( not recognized by VA yet).

The VA is sending me a letter that I will no longer be able to work after the 5th. (for the pulmonary disease).

By the way, our outside cardiologist put it in writing that the pulmonary affected my AO IHD. We are sending this in as new evidence.

The VA pulmonologist is the one writing the unable to work anymore.

We asked the VA pulmonologist if this disease affected my heart and he said yes. We asked if he would include this in our progress notes, he said yes, & and we did see him typing this. We have not gotten our records printed on this. I do hope that VA did not take this out of our records to protect themselves, but it would not surprise me at all. If it is in there, we will send both for new evidence.

Should I go on and file for SSI and then on 08/05/11, file for SSDI? I know that they will recognize the SSI first and then I would be assured of some money at least while I "wait the waiting game!!

Any ideas on this, for I need to start filing this weekend for SSI.

Help, I could really use some of your wise imput!!

Rockman

That's an interesting situation. At first glance without knowing all the details I would look into filing for SSDI now if you think you can get it. That way, if granted, you would draw your full Social Security amount until your full retirement age and then it would just convert over to regular Social Security at that point at the full amount. If you were to file know, at 62, you would only be drawing a portion of the maximum benefit and that wouldn't change from now on.

I know others will chime in on this issue with good advice.

As for the progress reports from the pulmonologist, I would immediately go to the records office and get copies of the notes ASAP under the FOIA. That way you have the copies in the event the VA "loses" those notes later. Good Luck!

Edited by handler

That's an interesting situation. At first glance without knowing all the details I would look into filing for SSDI now if you think you can get it. That way, if granted, you would draw your full Social Security amount until your full retirement age and then it would just convert over to regular Social Security at that point at the full amount. If you were to file know, at 62, you would only be drawing a portion of the maximum benefit and that wouldn't change from now on.

I know others will chime in on this issue with good advice.

As for the progress reports from the pulmonologist, I would immediately go to the records office and get copies of the notes ASAP under the FOIA. That way you have the copies in the event the VA "loses" those notes later. Good Luck!

Thank you for your quick reply!!

I am wondering, if you happen to know, is if I go on and file for SSDI on the 5th, would I get the regular SSI payments after I turn 62? After it is approved (providing it is), then would Social Security go back to the original date filing date for SSDI and re-imburse for the difference of SSDI and SSI?

I would pre-file for SSDI with the date I am leaving, but I do not want to send up a red flag saying that "on this date, I know I will be disabled", if you see what I mean.

My private cardiologist said that he would get me what I needed to file for SSDI, which is good, since my IHD is service connected. He also said that if I wanted a letter stating my IHD is a "Static Disability", he would do that also. Then this would be sent in with hopes that they would grant me 100% for my IHD.

I know that you really need to file for SSDI with your service connected issues. I also have PTSD. The kicker is that my pulmonary fibrosis is a "compassionate disease with SSDI and is "supposed" to be approved quicker. The pulmonary fibrosis is not service connected so I am kinda in a rock and a hard place.

Confused,

Rockman

• HadIt.com Elder

File for SSDI because it is more money than you get at 62 for regular retirement. I would hold off on the regular SSA until I got SSDI. You don't want to confuses this issue too much since the people doing SSA can get things mixed up just like VA. Also you will be able to get medicare in two years after SSDI award. If you get regular SSA you have to wait until 65 to get medicare. Medicare benefit is really a big deal for people who want an option besides depending on the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would file for SSD unless I needed the money and if so I would file asking for both. The letter that says you can't work from a Doc should do the trick in my opinion.

Saying this I would go to Social Security Office and talk to them about it and what are the consequences.

Good Luck

Thank you for your quick reply!!

I am wondering, if you happen to know, is if I go on and file for SSDI on the 5th, would I get the regular SSI payments after I turn 62? After it is approved (providing it is), then would Social Security go back to the original date filing date for SSDI and re-imburse for the difference of SSDI and SSI?

I would pre-file for SSDI with the date I am leaving, but I do not want to send up a red flag saying that "on this date, I know I will be disabled", if you see what I mean.

My private cardiologist said that he would get me what I needed to file for SSDI, which is good, since my IHD is service connected. He also said that if I wanted a letter stating my IHD is a "Static Disability", he would do that also. Then this would be sent in with hopes that they would grant me 100% for my IHD.

I know that you really need to file for SSDI with your service connected issues. I also have PTSD. The kicker is that my pulmonary fibrosis is a "compassionate disease with SSDI and is "supposed" to be approved quicker. The pulmonary fibrosis is not service connected so I am kinda in a rock and a hard place.

Confused,

Rockman

I think you may be getting the two mixed up. If you file for SSDI and it is granted that will be what you will receive it until your 65 at which time it will automatically convert over to regular Social Security. The only difference is the name at that point and that is just for the Social Security Administration purposes. You won't see any difference in your monthly benefits.

SSDI will provide you with more monthly benefit (because it is figured on your full retirement age amount) then if you were to file for regular SS at the age of 62.

Also, SSDI is all or nothing. Not like the VA which has percentages for a specific disability. Under SSDI you either are or are not totally disabled. in other words 0% (not granted) or 100% (granted).

I agree with the other posters. File for SSDI when you become unable to work. That is your best benefit by far. In order for you to get the same amount as SSDI from regular SS you would have to wait until you reach your full retirement age.

If you file for SS now at 62 that amount won't change (other than COLA adjustments) when you reach your full retirement age.

Hope this helps.

To All-

Thank you for your imput. We are hoping that we will be able to survive on my VA disability & short term disability. I know people have gotten SSDI very quickly, but I do not know a congressman personally to make sure Social Security works on it in a timely manner. It can be done, I know it. I have a friend that says it is all in how you word the application first. He has gotten friends approved on the first try. We will fax it all to him first and then we will be ready to move forward when I am no longer working.

With the disease, it will never ever improve.

Have a Blessed Day all!!

Rockman