VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Colon Removal/chronic Diarrhea

Rate this topic

Hello again. I need to see if anyone else has had colon removal which resulted in chronic diarrhea. Th VA tried to get me tincture of Opium or Percogisic (not sure on spelling), however it's not in their formulary. They want me to try a drug called Octreotide. Has anyone used either of these drugs? I understand the Percogesic is almost impossible to get, but works good slowing down the frequency. Any comments please. Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

percogesic works great. slows things down and no side effects. it tastes nasty and no one will prescribe it. don't know if it's hard to find because I can't get a script. besides codine (nobody prescribes that either) it was the best. immodium works also but you have to take a lot of it and it has side effects.

I found the correct name of the drug-Paregoric. I'm at 8 immodium and Questran powder and they also are ordering morphine to slow down things, but not sure how well morphine will work.

I've had the surgery, and watch what I eat constantly. Please be careful with the use of the narcotics for obvious reasons. Diet had a huge impact on my 'predictability', so I have to time what I eat, and how much at any given time. Also, you may have had the flora in the colon and active/positive bacteria destroyed by antibiotics after the surgery. How long has it been since? I've had this happen on a frequent basis, depending on the antibiotics. Suggestion - a yogurt a day should help get your system back into balance.